Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stealership Visit=Rant

Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 PM
02redv6stang

Angry Stealership Visit=Rant

So this is my first post here even though I've been a member since 2010. Just bought a 2007 GT premium and it has the shaker 500 in it. Of course the thing did not work right. Lights did not work and neither did the aux port. I did the self test and it pulled the code stating it could be reprogrammed. Took it to my local dealer which is Long Lewis in Muscle Shoals AL. One of the biggest in the south. They couldn't fix it. ECU was fried. Yet I was still charged $75!! Only thing they did was some recall on the passenger side air bag. Rant over.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

You took a 6+ year old car in for diagnostic work and expected to not pay something for it? The warranty is over, man. I'd be concerned what fried the ECM. Somebody's f-ed up tuning attempt or, the car's been underwater a bit, etc. look into the history of the car and see what else you uncover.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 AM
02redv6stang

Originally Posted by P51C
You took a 6+ year old car in for diagnostic work and expected to not pay something for it? The warranty is over, man. I'd be concerned what fried the ECM. Somebody's f-ed up tuning attempt or, the car's been underwater a bit, etc. look into the history of the car and see what else you uncover.
You assume I'm an idiot. I know the warranty is over. My friend works at a Ford dealer in another state and he said they wouldn't have charged in that situation. The car was purchased from the original owner and I had a carfax which came back perfect. If you know anything of the shaker systems you'd know they go out all the time. The radio has its own ECU and that is what was fried.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:50 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Did you try the radio before you bought it?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 AM
02redv6stang

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Did you try the radio before you bought it?
Yeah I did just not the aux. I didn't even think about it until after I got the car and I read on here about it. I test drove it during the day so I did not realize the lights did not work on it. No big deal I just ordered a Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD from Crutchfield. Just kinda bugged me they charged me when they did nothing but tell me it was broken. That dealer is really good on prices as far as dealers go though. I asked about them doing the plugs since the original owner never did them and its got a tad over 77k now and they quoted me about $175 for everything or $50 if I supplied the plugs. Alot less than what I've seen on here so far.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by P51C
A tune will not fry the ECM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:12 AM
02redv6stang

Originally Posted by outceltj
A tune will not fry the ECM.
THANK YOU!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Its not that unusual for the dealership to charge a diagnosis fee. Is that what they called it on the paperwork?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

People **** up tune installs all the time and brick ecms. Sometimes they are salvageable, sometimes not.

Anyway, I think the op clarifies his use, he means the control unit for the stereo only. These pos are built to a price and I have the latest version in my 2012, with a tech package so I know it's limits. Anything even remotely goes wrong under warranty and it's in there. The nav had eaten two antennas in 6 months and that made the Sat radio freak, too.

I assume nothing about op, I just ask questions about why you didn't ask questions when fixing an old car. I understand you're pissed off but you have some responsibility here.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Yeah, dealerships suck. You're out $75 but you now have a clear understanding of the problem. Is the ECU for the radio internal to the radio? I have an unused Shaker 500 I bought (from a forum member in '09 or '10) out of an '08 which I had intended on putting into my wife's '06. It sits in a box in my workshop and if she doesn't want it installed, I'll sell it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stealership Visit=Rant