Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3v GT, happy owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Stealth is back in the house..........nice seeing you dude. Yes get a GT. I love mine as much as day one 5 years ago. I could go buy a 5.0 easy but why? It would just be new. My car is all mine.....modded up over and over....I love it. Just washed it tonight, getting it ready for a huge car show this week. Get one and come back to the boards bro! We miss your input. I believe you may have been the one that posted the m90 thread when they went on sale 4 years ago.....you cost me man......its all your fault.....LOL... Woohoo....
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
i love mine now i got a 2010 and an auto.
u have to remember these cars are gt cars and not sports cars..the susspension on these cars is kinda like from the dark ages..no way i'de wanna go in one at 200mph..i find 140 fast enough for the way these cars handle...so the 4.6 is fine..
if u wanna sports car buy a vette
I was actually very impressed by the stock suspension of my 08 GT as well. It felt very light and nimble, and very low to the ground. Something that my Charger is not, which is fine since I also like being in a "tank" lol. I actually thought about getting an 05 Vette, but talk about impractical. At least with the GT, I can drive it year round as I always have and it's been fine. Ditto on 140 being fast enough, as I been there a few times very easily in my 08 and though it was fun, I have much more enjoyment going from 0-60 or 0-85

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Stealth is back in the house..........nice seeing you dude. Yes get a GT. I love mine as much as day one 5 years ago. I could go buy a 5.0 easy but why? It would just be new. My car is all mine.....modded up over and over....I love it. Just washed it tonight, getting it ready for a huge car show this week. Get one and come back to the boards bro! We miss your input. I believe you may have been the one that posted the m90 thread when they went on sale 4 years ago.....you cost me man......its all your fault.....LOL... Woohoo....
Hi 808
Glad to see the gang is still all here. Yup, I still remember posting up that link to the M90 kit for a mere $3,895. I was so jealous since I already dropped $5k on the Vortech!

I really like the new 5.0 but it never really grew on me since my 08 was fast already with the 4.6, and the next logical step was to forge the motor. They really are charging so much for the new GT's it's ridiculous. But it's all good, that's business. Glad to hear your GT is still kickin' butt with that M90.

I been over on the LX forums, and though they're as hardcore as best of them, it never felt the same or like Mustangforums. It's also kind of annoying how so many post kill stories about their Charger's beating old *** Mustangs from 2001 or 1997 lol Being a Mustang guy, those threads always bugged me.

Yeah man, if I do jump on the deal I'll post up some more threads on my ride. This time around, my goal is gonna be more geared towards responsiveness of the motor, and acceleration from a enjoyment perspective rather than sheer hp or drag racing. Gonna start where I left off and get some Hot Rod cams ASAP
Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I still have mine, and still love it, although there's not much stock left... but it's still a 4.6L block and 3v heads... even though the heads are heavily ported and the crank strokes it to 4.75L.
Never mind what the guy from from the old country says, minor suspension mods and these cars can take the curves as well. Mine handles well at high speed and I'm hoping to exercise the turbos for a full boost run next weekend at Mojave... should have a new top speed.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Holy smokes.. props to taking it to a whole new level. Impressive standing mile and hp numbers
Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I love mine. I could buy something MUCH nicer (thought about a new Aston Martin V8 Vantage, whole other league) but I just can't bring myself to leave it behind. The suspension is set up just the way I like it. I'm saving towards some serious engine work but like you I think I'm leaning towards more weight reduction first, then engine work. Financially, this car makes the most sense to me as well. Mods are cheap and it turns just as many heads (I think more) than any of the $100k+ cars I've driven. This 3V just has that "it" factor, that soul, that so many new cars seem to lack. There's feeling in this car that I just can't quite put my finger on with other cars.

Also, I've read about a dozen of your other threads and always found them to be very informative, so thanks for that!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks, I always try to help out as much as I can. Mostly through trial and error on my own part lol

I know what you mean. I have owned seven cars so far, and none of them have struck a cord in me like my GT has. Each and every car had it's strength's and weaknesses, but what I miss most is the enjoyment of driving. I haven't really driven or cruised around like I did in my Mustang in any of the three (yup, three!) Charger's I have owned since selling my Mustang back in the end of 2011.

Awesome vehicles in their own right, but they lacked the spirit the Mustang had. Doesn't make any sense, neither does me keeping so many of it's photographs around. I try cruising in my Charger and it just never felt the same. I even threw a $6k supercharger on my 09 last year, and though it was monstrous and fast as hell.. it never really felt right or "fit" my personality. And no, it has nothing to do with it being a four door lol

I realized that I just miss cruising, idle driving listening to tunes, coasting along the highway aimlessly, exhaust cut outs blarring, windows rolled down. I don't know, maybe I just need subs or an exhaust on my Charger. Sounds a little strange, but I felt free in the Mustang. Like I just didn't give a shiet. Let the cards fall where they may sort of thing. In the Charger, I feel trapped despite being friggin' enormous... at 4485lbs. and 120 wheel base it's quite beastly. It still moves on out with authority with the 5.7 though. So it's not lacking in power.

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-07-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

For years and years, all I wanted was a V8 Mustang. I had to substitute other things for it when I was younger because I couldn't afford the insurance or gas, so I had a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe for a long time.

Finally got this car when I was 30. Bone stock it honestly wasn't quite what I wanted, but I feel like now it definitely is! It has the right sound (full exhaust), the right feel with the hurst shifter and long stick on it, it looks good, has AC, gets about the same gas mileage as my turbo coupe did but with more power.

I can't afford one of the new coyote's anyway! I admit that I actually am liking that body style just a touch better, and will probably look at one of them as an upgrade sometime off in the future, but for now I love my car, still gets tons of compliments and thumbs up, it's all good
Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I bought my 05 last November and could only drive it four times before the WI winter hit.

Coming from owning an 86 for ten years, man is this car so much more refined. Even the suspension and brake upgrades in the fox couldn't touch the stock s197 setup. Yeah it's a little heavier but not too much. I've literally put more hours working on it this winter than driving it but the love is still there. Even though I downgraded in power, the fox had 400+ 347, I know what I want to do with the car so I've started with the suspension first unlike the fox that I got when I was 18, I just wanted it Togo faster. Whereas with the 05 I actually have goals with it. Autocross and drift. And with minor engine mods it'll be plenty powerful. I have an idea what I want to do to add power but that won't be for years. I didn't build the motor in the fox until I had it for three years, so there's always time.

I too have had the thought of down the line getting a new 5.0 but it'd have to be 11-12, best front end IMO next to the 07-09 GT500.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have an 05 GT convertible with 4.10's, full offroad exhaust, and adding the bolt on breathing mods and tune next week. I love it still and have a blast driving every day.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
.....the susspension on these cars is kinda like from the dark ages..
You need to change your rhetoric mmmmkay?
Your freaking 2010 isn't a huge improvement at all over an 09 car so bite it.
In fact it's even heavier, which is a nono when it comes to handling and suspension efficiency...

I will agree with you about your comment on the Vette though, providing it has a manual trans... trademark of a true sports car.

Quick Reply: 3v GT, happy owners?