Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster Outlaw Review (Long thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Flowmaster Outlaw Review (Long thread)

Hey guys, so I decided I would go ahead and do a full on review of my new Axle Backs. I haven't had them on for to long, I think it's been like a week now, but since I have had them on I have done a ton of driving. I normally fill my tank up once a week. I have filled my tank up 3 times since I have put them on if that tells you anything. In a week I have put about 600 miles on my car which is about what I did from when I got my car to when I put them on which was about a month and a half. So needless to say I have been doing a lot of driving.

Ok so first things first, the fit and finish of these for me personally was horrible. I think someone had messed with the exhaust on the car at one point or another because for me the hangers on the Flowmasters were about 2 inches off where they should have been on the driver side, so I had to make a new hanger holder to make it work which wasn't to bad. The other side we were able to make work but it was still off a little bit. I think normally on a car that hasn't been messed with or anything like that the fit would have been a million times better. We ended up getting it pretty much perfect. Here are some pics that show the fit now that they are on the car and everything. I think it's about as perfect as it can get.

Name:  001_zps8e8d7080.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  002_zps1d58f7a6.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  006_zps795581fc.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  007_zps525589e5.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  005_zpscfac9948.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  81.9 KB

You can see the hanger holder we made here

Name:  003_zps8c19b8d7.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  55.3 KB

Overall look wise I think turned out really really good. The massive 4" tips set the rear end off. One nice thing I like about this car vs my Monte is with DOD it would occasionally burn oil so I had to clean my tips probably twice a week. I have yet to really clean these. They will get washed with the rest of the car but I have really had any black "soot" on these. They stay really clean which is nice.

Now as far as sound goes, when I first put them on they were pretty loud. To the point where I was kind of afraid to drive around cops. Even though it looked like they could car less when I did drive by them. I even had a cop compliment me on the sound at a red light which I thought was pretty cool. Since then they have "mellowed" out just a bit. They are still really loud but you can tell they are slightly more tame. As far as the sound it's self goes, since that was more about volume, it's a good sound. It's nice and deep and burbly and bubbly like a lot of older cars sounded like. Flowmaster is really good at giving that old school muscle car sound which is what I personally wanted.

When I was looking at exhausts I wanted something that would stand out. I didn't want it crazy loud but I did want it loud. I also wanted that old school sound rather then the European V8 sound a lot of people seem to go for. That and I just couldn't justify $600 for a set of Axle backs. So I decided to go with Outlaws. When driving around normally you really get that old school burble, but when you get on you almost get like an old school sound with a hint of European sound. It's kind of a sound all it's own and it's really good. There is a tiny bit of drone when at 2000RPM but it's not bad at all. Anything below that and you have absolutely no drone. Here is a video that showcases how it sounds in the car when driving. I do say this in the video, But I apologize if the video part is bad I basically just had to hold my camera, but it's more about the audio anyway.

And here is a video of me doing some revs. This was when I first had them put on so I didn't rev it to loud because I was afraid I would wake up little babies in China.

Overall I am really happy with everything, the looks are great and the sound is great as well. Hopefully this helps anyone looking at exhausts, if I had some more money I may have got something more expensive like Borla's or Corsa's. But in all honesty for the price these sound great, not obnoxiously loud, but loud enough to make a point. And the sound is very unique, which I like as well. Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 PM
DAD_23
1st Gear Member

Really great review man!
Much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Thanks man, no problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

One thing I've found on these cars is that the tips can be difficult to get even, especially if they're welded on. One tends to stick out more than the other or whatever.

Also I wish the hangers had just a touch more up & down adjustability built into them, that's usually where I need it.

Those look pretty good. My pipes are kinda boogered up since I cut them and welded in the Magnaflows. I had to add a hanger before the pipe goes over the axle and remove one factory hanger on the driver's side to get everything to line up more or less OK. Still not perfect but I can't adjust them any more.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:06 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
One thing I've found on these cars is that the tips can be difficult to get even, especially if they're welded on. One tends to stick out more than the other or whatever.

Also I wish the hangers had just a touch more up & down adjustability built into them, that's usually where I need it.

Those look pretty good. My pipes are kinda boogered up since I cut them and welded in the Magnaflows. I had to add a hanger before the pipe goes over the axle and remove one factory hanger on the driver's side to get everything to line up more or less OK. Still not perfect but I can't adjust them any more.
Yea we messed around with them for a good 2 hours before I was happy with how they were lined up. They are both pretty much the same from every angle. I was really happy with how they turned out. Stinks that they didn't fit out of the box but again I think that had to do with someone messing with the exhaust in the past. It only cost like $6 to get the materials to make a hanger and the hanger only took like 30 minutes to make. So the bulk of the time actually was just getting them lined up and as perfect as they could get lol.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I bet in your case, someone rotated one of the tailpipes slightly. If the clamps have ever been loosened it's real easy to do and will throw axleback alignment all out of whack.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
I bet in your case, someone rotated one of the tailpipes slightly. If the clamps have ever been loosened it's real easy to do and will throw axleback alignment all out of whack.
Yea, it also looked like the stock muffler had the hanger changed and moved around and re welded like 4 different times which also could have had something to do with it haha
Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Just axlebacks with stock cats right? Sounds good man
Old 06-08-2014, 10:22 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
Just axlebacks with stock cats right? Sounds good man
That's correct, exhaust is stock except for the Outlaw axle backs. Eventually I plan on doing longtubes and a catted mac pro chamber. I may have to change out the axle back if I do that though. I think it may be way to loud with long tubes lol
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

i spot some rust there dude..not good..it'de sort that soon if it was mine..
sounds awesome btw..man your a young dude lol..only old men drive mustangs here

Last edited by Rudolph Hucker; 06-08-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Outlaw Review (Long thread)