Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Mods on a '12 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Joecls

Default Exhaust Mods on a '12 GT

I currently have a Bassani system with at delete pipes. I'm sure the performance gains are considerable but I just can't get past the raspy sound. It sounds like old cherry bombs lol.

Is there a system out there that does not do this ?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

I just ordered mac axle back mufflers because of this exact reason. THey are very, very deep and gives a more clean sound.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 AM
Joecls

Originally Posted by Troponin
I just ordered mac axle back mufflers because of this exact reason. THey are very, very deep and gives a more clean sound.
So you've heard this system on another stang?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

There are several on YouTube if you search for them. I have yet to actually hear them in person, however, everyone that has them swears they have the deepest tone of any other muffler on the market. I have heard of a few guys that had them, got rid of them for another muffler, then went back to the Mac because they didn't realize how great they sounded until they heard another muffler on their car. They are not super loud though, because they are and S design instead of a straight through design. In my honest opinion, the stock mufflers are actually not bad and by changing out your muffler alone, you're not gaining much in the way of horsepower. Axle back systems are mostly for sound and cosmetics. If you are truly looking for performance, then you need an off-road X pipe and long tube headers. It's my understanding that the factory mufflers are good for up to or even over 500 horse power to the wheels. So, get your mufflers based on the sound and you'll be much happier
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Joecls

I love the sound of the system until you are in it hard. The popping and raspy sound almost like a fart lol. I read other posts here and at other forums and they all say the clamshell design of the Bassani X pipe causes the rasp. I ordered a Ford Racing H pipe this morning going to find out if that solves the problems
Old 04-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joecls
I love the sound of the system until you are in it hard. The popping and raspy sound almost like a fart lol. I read other posts here and at other forums and they all say the clamshell design of the Bassani X pipe causes the rasp. I ordered a Ford Racing H pipe this morning going to find out if that solves the problems
Have you ever listened to a stock 5.0 really closely? It actually pops as well. Anything you do to open up the exhaust is still going to pop, it's the nature of the beast. The raspy sound, however, is mostly about how open and flowing the system is. I would personally open everything up, then use the muffler to tone down whatever it is you want to tone down. Any X pipe is going to amplify that popping sound though. There might be some slight differences in each pipe, but you're not going to rid of it.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Joecls

Thanks for the knowledge on these. I am going on Monday and have the X pipe taken out and separate the two sides and see what they does.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:32 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've never cared for the sound of muffler deletes on much of anything. At idle they sound good, but beyond that they give you a loud and unrefined sound. There's way too many guys with straight piped trucks around here so I wouldn't want a car that sounded like that too.