Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drone: I might be on to something

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
mcrider
2nd Gear Member

I had axle backs on mine and it droned like crazy, so I started thinking about what I could do to eliminate it. I finally came up with the Idea of getting rid of the axle backs since they were right under the trunk and that seemed to be where the drone was eminating and being amplified from. I had 2 cherry bomb glass pacs installed directly under the cabin area and deleted the axle backs and guess what? No more drone, and it sounds really awesome!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Keepin it loud..keeps the wife out of my car. Love it. In fact the car sounds better without the wife complaining that she doesn't like the sound. I don't experience an annoying resonant drone... More of a VROOOOM and the occassional BRAPPPppppptttt when I rev-match then let of the throttle and downshift.

My Sons can't get enough of it.... My Daughters pretend to agree with their Mom, until they wanna show off to their friends. Then its more of "dad rev the engine" .... "NOW!".

For me I enjoy when the MILFs in the neighborhood start cooing over it and the wife ain't around to hear them " I love yer Car" While I get my flirt on... Umm when the kids ain't in the car. ;-)

Loud and Proud .... That's what a Mustang should be.

Just Sayin....

---
Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Mid mounted resonators improve the exhaust tone big time. The tone will still be loud but it will be cleaned up, orgnaized and way deeper. Staggering them does cancel out the drone too. I cut in some MBRP resonators recently. Use to run pypes m80s but one of them developed a really bad rattle so they had to go. Nothing worse than a rattling exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails Drone: I might be on to something-img_20140405_150032473.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mcrider
I had axle backs on mine and it droned like crazy, so I started thinking about what I could do to eliminate it. I finally came up with the Idea of getting rid of the axle backs since they were right under the trunk and that seemed to be where the drone was eminating and being amplified from. I had 2 cherry bomb glass pacs installed directly under the cabin area and deleted the axle backs and guess what? No more drone, and it sounds really awesome!
That actually sounds like an awesome idea; Mounting mufflers where the cats used to be.

The resonator sounds like a good idea too. I guess if I deleted my cats and replaced them with the resonators, the sound shouldn't be much louder. I really don't want it to be louder. They have the perfect volume now.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Resonators dont lower the volume, they just clean up the tone. They are very easy to install yourself too. A sawzall and some torctite clamps are all you need. I did it on jackstands. An impact makes tightening up everything easier and quicker.