Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drone: I might be on to something

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Troponin
1st Gear Member

Default Drone: I might be on to something

Been researching drone quite a bit. Trying to figure out how to fix it. Will be trying several methods, including sound deadening material and potentially increasing the over all mass of the mufflers.

However, while doing my research, I made a discovery. I pulled up my carpeting in the rear to check out how I would be installing the material and see what was under there, and I discovered there is no spare. What does this mean? Well, this is a good start in realizing why these cars have horrible drone. The mufflers sit right under the trunk, and the spare tire well creates a nice amplifier. This certainly won't completely eliminate the drone, but I think this might be why these cars seem to get it so badly with a lot of mufflers.

So, now I am trying to figure out, what to cover/fill it with? I checked at Lowe's and couldn't find any material that I thought would work well in conforming to the trunk either.

Any other suggestions for the entire trunk and the spare tire well?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Do a J-pipe, cancel out the drone at the source, or add strategically placed resonators. Sound deadening only does so much, I matted the whole car and trunk and I still have drone from the borlas.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:40 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

These cars come with a spare.. Is yours missing?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:28 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Drone is fixed by mid-mounting can style mufflers or resonators in an offset manner (regardless of axle-back configuration).
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Only brembo brake package cars dont have a spare tire.

What mufflers/exhaust setup do you have? I dont have any drone.

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:52 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hootie_john
Drone is fixed by mid-mounting can style mufflers or resonators in an offset manner (regardless of axle-back configuration).
No it's not, I can tell you that firsthand.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:48 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Sound is vibration.. drone is the result of your exhaust.. and the attached car, effectively acting like a tuning fork. Padding, etc, cant get rid of it. It may change it a little... but it is still there. You can feel drone because your car is vibrating, albeit at a very low frequency.

Think of it this way.. Hold a piece of sheet metal next to a bass organ pipe. The sheet metal will vibrate as the sound (which is a vibration) hits it. At certain notes, however, it wont just vibrate at the same frequency. If the conditions are right, it will vibrate at a resonant frequency.. which may actually be more "intense" or higher amplitude than the frequency of the organ pipe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_resonance
This really is worth watching...really. You will know exactly what you are dealing with after this.

I think you will really relate to the sound he creates during the video... mind numbing. I had a mac axleback for a short time on my 07 v6.... I really do think it wouldn't have been safe for pregnant women.. seriously!

Adding resonators, or somehow changing the length of the exhaust system is the only way to help.. other than switching to something different... switching to something different is really the only to eliminate it.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Only brembo brake package cars dont have a spare tire.

What mufflers/exhaust setup do you have? I dont have any drone.
Originally Posted by ghunt
No it's not, I can tell you that firsthand.
It isn't the only way, but staggered resonators work well.

Borla touring have almost no drone, but too quiet down low for some.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Sound is vibration.. drone is the result of your exhaust.. and the attached car, effectively acting like a tuning fork. Padding, etc, cant get rid of it. It may change it a little... but it is still there. You can feel drone because your car is vibrating, albeit at a very low frequency.

Think of it this way.. Hold a piece of sheet metal next to a bass organ pipe. The sheet metal will vibrate as the sound (which is a vibration) hits it. At certain notes, however, it wont just vibrate at the same frequency. If the conditions are right, it will vibrate at a resonant frequency.. which may actually be more "intense" or higher amplitude than the frequency of the organ pipe.

Acoustic resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This really is worth watching...really. You will know exactly what you are dealing with after this.

I think you will really relate to the sound he creates during the video... mind numbing. I had a mac axleback for a short time on my 07 v6.... I really do think it wouldn't have been safe for pregnant women.. seriously!

Adding resonators, or somehow changing the length of the exhaust system is the only way to help.. other than switching to something different... switching to something different is really the only to eliminate it.

Dead on. In fact, I did a vibration research project in college on a set of mufflers to find out exactly why they drone. I have V6 with duals, so my numbers will be different than that for a GT. However, both of my mufflers had a very pronounced resonance mode sitting around 2250 Hz. For a V6 traveling approximately 75 mph, the engine frequency output of the exhaust is damn near close to 2250 Hz.

Mufflers are all made differently, thus producing a very different sound profile. Unfortunately, he's right, the only way to eliminate the drone is to switch mufflers. More unfortunate is you will have no idea what the resonance profile the muffler is before you buy it. Unless you test them first... Without switching mufflers, your only choice is to mask the sound by sound dampeners in the trunk and cabin, keeping the RPMs as low as you can, or turning up the radio... Sorry!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I can tell you that my car has a spare, and with the flowmaster outlaws it droned like crazy! I also have the stock resonators and I imagine it would only be worse without them. I switched to off-road x, and a lot of the drone went away. The car is super loud, but it doesn't have the head rattling drone like before with cats.

Quick Reply: Drone: I might be on to something