Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2014 GT Rear end knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:41 PM
steevelo1

Angry 2014 GT Rear end knock

Anyone have any experience with a 2011 - up making a knock / clunk noise when starting off from a stop? This didn't start until I banged the RH rear pretty good on a speed bump during the Vegas 50th. I can sometimes feel it a little in the floor & sounds like its coming from passenger rear. I've lifted the car, and can't see anything loose or broken underneath. WTH? The car is a 2014 with under 5000 miles. Sounds like something is loose. Car drives normally. Noise went away for a week but seems to happen more during hot weather (this week) after the car is driven for awhile. (2014 Mustang GT, H&R SPRINGS, Steeda rear UCA & bracket, J&M adjustable Panhard rod)
Old 05-03-2014, 07:24 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steevelo1
Anyone have any experience with a 2011 - up making a knock / clunk noise when starting off from a stop? This didn't start until I banged the RH rear pretty good on a speed bump during the Vegas 50th. I can sometimes feel it a little in the floor & sounds like its coming from passenger rear. I've lifted the car, and can't see anything loose or broken underneath. WTH? The car is a 2014 with under 5000 miles. Sounds like something is loose. Car drives normally. Noise went away for a week but seems to happen more during hot weather (this week) after the car is driven for awhile. (2014 Mustang GT, H&R SPRINGS, Steeda rear UCA & bracket, J&M adjustable Panhard rod)
did the panhard bar come loose or get bent? Sway bar bend?
Mufflers come loose and are now hitting the axle?
axle rod slightly bent?

When you say "banged the rear on a speed bump" what are you implying? you scraped over it? came up on it too hard? sped over it? slid into it?

It's kind of hard from your description to fully understand what "shock" you sent thru the system or what exactly happened that may have lead to the problem.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Could be the driveshaft. Mine has been doing it since new. It is the mid bearing making the noise. Main reason I will be getting a one piece driveshaft.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:13 PM
steevelo1

Didn't see the speedbump & went over too fast bottoming out really hard. I've been under there a couple times since & everything seems straight & tight. Even readjusted & verified the pinion angle. As far as drive shaft goes ive heard that noise & this is different.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by steevelo1
Hello steevelo1,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Have you brought this up to your dealer? If not, I recommend you bring it in. Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 AM
steevelo1

Default No luck yet

I took the car to my local Ford dealer. They drove the car & looked at it then told me there is nothing wrong other than the axle is hitting the exhaust. I told them this couldn't be because I've had this setup for six months & the noise has only been happening for a few weeks. Basically they couldn't find anything broken or loose. I then took it to the shop that installed the lowering springs & they showed me there's plenty of clearance between the axle & exhaust. Unfortunately they couldn't find a problem either. There is definitely a distinct knocking / pop noise a lot of the time when taking off from a stop & its driving me nuts. Seems to happen more when the weather is warm or the car's been driven awhile. Thinking of going back to the dealer or a different one but is such a pain to make time for when you work. Anybody know a good diagnostic mechanic in the L.A. area? Somebody HELP!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

You might have blown a shock internally from hitting the bump hard. another thing to do is remove the rear sway bar and drive the car without it a bit. That'll eliminate or confirm the usual cause of S197 rear end noises: the sway bar end links.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 AM
HRDWRK
1st Gear Member

I may have a similar situation but it is usually when I change the gear from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and less commonly from the stand still. I can describe it as clunk or linkage sound which makes me feel the linkage is loose or something! It comes from the 1/2 rear of the car and under the floor board, and it happens when the car is warmed up (warm days I guess) and at lower speed. I posted a thread about it and I was told in this forum that it is ok with these cars. This is y first Mustang and I am still getting used to the car. I don't know if we are talking about the same thing though. So far I am suspicious of rear gear oil or manual tranny oil may not be the right specs for the car and temperature since it happens only in lower speed and warm days or when the car is warmed up??!!
Let us know if you find something out.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 AM
steevelo1

Default giving it another shot

I have had the "normal" drivetrain noise since new & even more since changing the rear UCA. I am think it may be something internal with the shock since it cant be found visually. It sounds like something shifts when I take off. I'm actually at another Ford dealer right now. I'll keep u guys
Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 AM
steevelo1

Default giving it another shot

I have had the "normal" drivetrain noise since new & even more since changing the rear UCA. I am think it may be something internal with the shock since it cant be found visually. It sounds like something shifts when I take off. I'm actually at another Ford dealer right now. I'll keep u guys posted.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Rear end knock