Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 Mustang GT, first oil change since purchase. 3 QT = Max on dipstick? Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Me.. id be super paranoid with the idea that that car drove around with only 3-4 QTs.. out of 8.. for.. how long??? If the dealership didnt do it.. (if they did.. that is messsssed up)... then, again, how long was this car without the correct amount of oil?

OP, did you ever check the oil level during that 3000 miles or so while you had it?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 PM
mbhw

Thanks for sharing. I will now have to check my dipstick at first light.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Quake Guy

I would suggest running an oil analysis to check on health of engine, also closely track engine oil to see if its burning any oil.

Here is the outfit that seems the most popular:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 AM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
fyi, for the future, oil change interval is 10,000 miles, not 3,000
Sure if you want your engine to run like @#$%! Oil doesn't go by mileage it goes by how fast YOU break it down! If you beat on your car, chances are it's going to need to get changed in 3,000 miles. I do mine every 3,000 miles because I do street race and beat on my 06 GT on the weekends, and let me tell you when that oil comes out it isn't pretty. It's dark, and its not that golden color it is when you first buy it, and that's with my brothers 2011 5.0 as well. This is coming from a customer using Amsoil Product. 5w-20 Amsoil Full Synthetic. The most I would do without changing oil is 5,000 miles, anything more is pretty sketch in my opinion. The whole "You can use this oil for 10,000-15,000 miles" is just something they use to make a sale.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:10 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GCCBrian
Sure if you want your engine to run like @#$%! Oil doesn't go by mileage it goes by how fast YOU break it down! If you beat on your car, chances are it's going to need to get changed in 3,000 miles. I do mine every 3,000 miles because I do street race and beat on my 06 GT on the weekends, and let me tell you when that oil comes out it isn't pretty. It's dark, and its not that golden color it is when you first buy it, and that's with my brothers 2011 5.0 as well. This is coming from a customer using Amsoil Product. 5w-20 Amsoil Full Synthetic. The most I would do without changing oil is 5,000 miles, anything more is pretty sketch in my opinion. The whole "You can use this oil for 10,000-15,000 miles" is just something they use to make a sale.
Your views on changing perfectly good oil are sketchy at best. You cannot just look at the oil and determine if it's good or bad. I change my oil in my Mustang once a year regardless the mileage. I've gone as much as 20,000 miles on daily drivers using Amsoil oil. I've done independent tests with it through Blackstone labs and all tests have always come back fine. That's how you determine if it's good or bad.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:13 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmach
Your views on changing perfectly good oil are sketchy at best. You cannot just look at the oil and determine if it's good or bad. I change my oil in my Mustang once a year regardless the mileage. I've gone as much as 20,000 miles on daily drivers using Amsoil oil. I've done independent tests with it through Blackstone labs and all tests have always come back fine. That's how you determine if it's good or bad.
I prefer cleaner oil, that's just how I am. I'm pretty OCD with my car anyways.. I've never had any problems with my engine on all of my cars. My 05 v6 mustang hit 160,000 miles with no problems before I sold it to help my brother get his 2011 5.0. I do all of my fluids pretty early, it's just how I am.

Transmission/Rear Axle: 10,000 miles
Coolant: 40,000miles/3yrs
Brake/Clutch Bleed: 10,000miles
Oil: 3,000miles
Old 06-09-2014, 11:24 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

I prefer cleaner oil, that's just how I am. I'm pretty OCD with my car anyways.. I've never had any problems with my engine on all of my cars. My 05 v6 mustang hit 160,000 miles with no problems before I sold it to help my brother get his 2011 5.0. I do all of my fluids pretty early, it's just how I am.
So? I had a (Neon) SRT-4 which I changed the oil at 6-7k intervals, I only ever used conventional oil, and when I sold it at 168,000 miles the most the oil level was down on the dipstick was 1/8th of a quart. when I had the valve cover off once to change a leaking gasket, things were as clean as could be inside there.

there are very specific reasons oil needs to be changed. Contamination with foreign material, depletion of the additive package, or build-up of combustion byproducts are the main reasons. And actually, so long as you keep the oil temperature within reason, your style of driving is a lot easier on motor oil than- say- someone who takes many short trips w/gentle driving. In that case, the engine never really gets up to operating temperature and you get a build-up of contamination (water, carbonic and nitric acid) in the oil because it never gets hot enough to dissipate them.

As has been said, going by the color of the oil is misleading. the oil starts darkening immediately after being put into service. heavy truck diesels go 15-20,000 miles between oil changes with oil as black as ink.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Slow*Jim
1st Gear Member

The only cars nowadays that really need changed every 3k are direct injection motors. Unless you track your car
Old 06-14-2014, 05:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The whole "You can use this oil for 10,000-15,000 miles" is just something they use to make a sale.
And 5w20 is something Ford uses to meet CAFE standards. If you really beat on your car, I'd run something with a little stronger film strength.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim
The only cars nowadays that really need changed every 3k are direct injection motors. Unless you track your car
I agree. Modern oils and modern engines have come a very long way. 3000mi oil change is a total waste.
Just like you said; you have to drive your car very hard to necessitate a 3000mi interval oil change.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT, first oil change since purchase. 3 QT = Max on dipstick? Pics.