Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A/C evaporator coil cleaning, 2005 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Steve Aiken

Default A/C evaporator coil cleaning, 2005 GT

Musty smell on start up. Most likely evaporator coils. How do I clean them?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

Steve did you check the cabin filter?
Old 05-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Steve Aiken

Oh yes. Cabin filter changed plus wiped clean and removed a few small leaves from the area in front of filter.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:59 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/climat...g-frigi-fresh/

We use this at work. If done correctly it is truly amazing and smells awesome.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Steve Aiken

Thanks for the tip on the BG product. That looks like the right idea. I just need to figure out where to put it in. I guess I will remove the glove box and see what the housing for the evaporator looks like. Also find a source for the stuff.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Maybe you should look under the car and find the place where the condensation drains and see if it is doing so? Maybe run something up the hole to make sure it is doing all it can and is not a tad plugged?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:46 AM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

You can do it like algregory mentioned. BG suggests drilling ahole i believe its a 7/32 inch hole in the the box behind the glove box and put the adapter that come with the kit in. Theres a plug for the hole in the kit. Works really well that well
Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Steve Aiken

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I got the BG product aerosol disinfectant on order. Couldn't easily find locally so of course it was on eBay. The drilled hole sounds like a good approach. The drain hole is clear. Also one manual for my car said you can use the air recirculating door which is also behind the glove box to insert the hose of the sprayer. Also to disconnect wire to compressor and run on recirculate high heat for 10 minutes prior to spraying. In any case it is happening this weekend , the smell is worse.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I never use the "max AC " option when I have the AC on.. So the re circulation doesn't cause mold from sitting over the winter when you don't use it. There are a few different AC cleaners you can buy at auto part stores I've used. I got a new cabin filter and soaked it then the 2nd half of the can down all the vents on the dash. Then run the AC on full blast for 3-4 min! Smells like new!
Old 05-15-2014, 03:39 AM
Steve Aiken

I never had this problem either when I lived in New Mexico with the low humidity. Try living in Florida. Mold occurs on everything that gets damp and is not in direct sunlight.
I received the BG frigi. It has good instructions. No disconnecting compressor or running for 10 minutes on hot and recirculate. Tells you where to drill the hole in the evaporator housing. Has the fitting and cap. Should work, I hope, smell is "killing me".

Quick Reply: A/C evaporator coil cleaning, 2005 GT