Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oh geez, I think I've f'ed up my car. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
Me too!!!

I looked at it and I don't know if I have the patience to deal with it. For instance, the rear two bolts on the shifter are under the body. I'll take it to a shop that has the right tools to get at it and sleep easier.
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with this install. However, I'm glad to hear you have a new shifter on the way!

I would also recommend just swinging the car by a shop to have the shifter installed and you'll be in good shape.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you had with this install. However, I'm glad to hear you have a new shifter on the way!

I would also recommend just swinging the car by a shop to have the shifter installed and you'll be in good shape.

Hope this helps!

-Dan
Yeah, it sucks! $35 shift **** is going to end up costing me around $360 by the end of Thursday this week. Arghhhhh!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I was panicking ridiculously when I wrote that initial post. Now I'm just incredibly upset. Owning a Mustang has been a dream of mine for 19 years. I didn't own it for a month and the first thing I did to it went horribly wrong!

I tried using vice grips to hold the shift rod and get the nut off, but it buggered up the threads on the shifter even more. That nut is not coming off until someone cuts it off!

Luckily, there are enough threads above the nut to get the shift **** on a little so I can still drive the car.

The bad news is now I don't have a reverse lock-out, so I have to be very careful selecting 1st gear.

I guess I'm going to order something inexpensive like the American Muscle SR Performance shifter kit to get the car back ”right" again.

What a mess...

If I were you I'd have a pro make it right....

I replaced my shift **** but it went well.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

After reading the directions a billion times, I decided to replace the shifter myself. I had to abort the mission though because there was just no safe way to get my lowered car up onto jack stands with the equipment I have.

I took it to a shop by my work this morning and they had it done in a couple of hours.

I have to say, when this initially started unfolding, I felt ridiculous panic. That turned into a little anger after I found out AM has known the shifter collar being undersized was an issue. I actually got a little more angry when I started seeing the cost to fix it land on my plate. I picked up the SR Performance shifter and bushing on sale for $180. It cost me another $147 to get it installed.

In the end, I'm pretty damn happy with how the shifter feels. It feels so much tighter and cleaner than the stock shifter. The distance is a little reduced, and it literally feels like a rifle bolt. I know, it's a cliché, but I handle a lot of rifles at work and it truly feels like the bolt on my tuned up Remington 700!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

You would have ended up putting a new shifter in the car anyways. Consider it an early Christmas present
Old 05-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Mr Nice Guy
1st Gear Member

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes it's just better to let the pros handle it. I'm glad to hear that shifter and bushing worked out so well. I have been seriously considering it myself. If it makes my Mustang feel like my Rem 700 I'd be very happy.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 AM
jb26port

Is it installed yet? If so, how do you like it?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jb26port
Is it installed yet? If so, how do you like it?
I like it a lot. Sometimes I have trouble with 5 to 6, but that might be me. Shifts feel very direct and defined. I day that if you're thinking about the SR Performance shifter package, go ahead and do it. Make sure you get that under car bracket too!