Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 PM
astolt12

Originally Posted by Andy13186
could be crank position sensor, my car had a misfire issue and the crank position sensor was the cause.
Andy, how did you determine it was that/fix it? Dealership?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:26 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by astolt12
So a quick update...

Went out after work and swapped cylinder 1s COP with cylinder 2s COP...completely removed the BAMA tune and the car started right up, didnt skip, hesitate, or anything. Took it around the block and nothing popped up.

Come back to check my tail pipes (which i cleaned of black smoke earlier) and there was nothing on them.

Upon restart however, it did throw P0132 which I believe is due to the extensions on the long tube headers that dont need to be there from what im reading.

When I drive in tomorrow if I get a cylinder 2 misfire then I know it's the COP. Still, at the same regard I cant help but believe that I got a bad tune from Bama which is where Shane will come into play.

Everything i've read about the 85mm isnt that bad. I may now need to go look into the voltage its pulling and see if its getting the A/F mixture right. The throttle response is def better over stock.

Thoughts?

(Shane, I still havent figured out to use the dang PM system on this forum...maybe its my account privileges?)
It seems like you're doing all of the right tests, but swapping the COP and trying the stock tune. You should also try the Bama tune with the COP swapped, just in case.

Regardless, I'd be happy to get you in touch wit the guys at Bama. I see you're having issues sending a PM, so I just PM'd you instead to make things easier. Get back to me with your First/Last name and shipping address. I'll take care of the rest!

Shane
Old 05-30-2014, 03:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

So a quick update...

Went out after work and swapped cylinder 1s COP with cylinder 2s COP...completely removed the BAMA tune and the car started right up, didnt skip, hesitate, or anything. Took it around the block and nothing popped up.

Come back to check my tail pipes (which i cleaned of black smoke earlier) and there was nothing on them.

Upon restart however, it did throw P0132 which I believe is due to the extensions on the long tube headers that dont need to be there from what im reading.

When I drive in tomorrow if I get a cylinder 2 misfire then I know it's the COP. Still, at the same regard I cant help but believe that I got a bad tune from Bama which is where Shane will come into play.

Everything i've read about the 85mm isnt that bad. I may now need to go look into the voltage its pulling and see if its getting the A/F mixture right. The throttle response is def better over stock.

Thoughts?

(Shane, I still havent figured out to use the dang PM system on this forum...maybe its my account privileges?)
You have to have a certain number of posts, after that you can just click on the persons name to send them a pm. What part of Florida? maybe it's our ****ty gas.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM
astolt12

Moostang,

Thanks! It looks like i must have hit that threshold. I can actually see the picture of my plugs and got a PM from Shane at Bama...guess they do that so you cannot spam people. I live in the Tampa area...never had problem with the gas down here and generally get the stuff from the same shell station. Run 87 with a Lucas cleaner every 5 tanks.

-Update-

Drove her into the work today and everything ran great. Throwing some more exhaust codes because of the long tubes, but its not mis firing, hesitating etc. Will load the BAMA tune that gave me a problem before and see if she stutters and skips. A misfire on 1 or 2 would tell me a lot.

Still have not done a compression test, but I do not think I need to at this moment.

Will keep the crew updated so anyone in the future who faces this will have some resolution!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Andy, how did you determine it was that/fix it? Dealership?
I took it to the dealership multiple times with no result or fixes after they "updated the software" Then i got a bama tune hoping that would fix it. It ran amazing but didnt fix the issue but eventually the light stayed on once for multiple cylinder misfire and i brought it in again, requested a rental and they changed the crank position sensor and its been fine ever since. Like 6 issue-free months after that I added the CAI and retuned and its been great.

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-31-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:07 PM
astolt12

All,

So now I'm stumped.

I took it out today to get the battery and alternator checked at auto zone with the intent to warm it up a little to then come back and begin working with Bama on the tune. It was dancing a little on idle 550-600rpm when I left the house.

Filled up on the way and put in Lucas deep clean fuel system cleaner to rule out water in the gas.

Alternator checked out as did the battery. Started heading home and it started really skipping at idle. 400-700rpm range. Sounded as if she was cammed. Under load, beautiful. What got me was upon deceleration (foot off the gas) and the car began down shifting you can feel the engine stutter in that gear. When I got home I checked the DTC codes and no misfires. Just o2 and HO2s on the passenger side....which is need to look at, I think the LT fried the wire.

I did the idle relearn process I've read about where you heat it up, run the ac and then drive the car but in reading some others and seeing Andy's post about the cam timing only more questions come to mind.

Tomorrow I'm going to put the stock throttle body on and take it through the relearn process from the get go...if it's the throttle body then, well - I guess I have a nice paper weight.

Also called the dealership and have her going in on Monday....but would love to save the wallet pain if at all possible.

Last edited by astolt12; 05-31-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Spelling/add info
Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

If you're still using the extensions for the longtubes get them off asap before it costs you a motor.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 PM
astolt12

Angry

Originally Posted by scottmach
If you're still using the extensions for the longtubes get them off asap before it costs you a motor.
I think that may be whats causing this whole debacle....

I returned the throttle body to the stock 80mm Ford one. Disconnected the battery during the event and cleared the KAM data prior to the work. Upon reconnect the negative battery terminal i re flashed the ECU to stock from the SCT tuner.

Put it all back together and seeing as how it was the first start of the day I let it go through the idle trim setup from a true cold start. Then drove it 10 miles regulating from 40-60 mph controlled decelerations/accelerations (nothing rough...kept it under 2500rpm). Get back to the house...PERFECT! Holding 600 RPM on the dot and the idle sounds smooth. No CEL's.

Knowing that P0132 generally pops up after I shut it off let it sit, and then restart it...did exactly that. Car was idling great and as soon as the CEL came on the idle was affected. Shut it off, checked codes. Sure enough, p0132 was culprit. "02 sensor high voltage bank 1 sensor 1"

I've had the P0132 before, but never did I see an idle issue. Also, the first time the battery was disconnected on the car (that im aware of) was when I went to put the 85mm TB on and now today which from what im reading can mess up some things.

Pulling my hair out at this point

Thanks all.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 PM
astolt12

Update...

Just removed the extension on the passenger side. Driver side looks like they need it. Couldn't even get close. The shop that installed them must have knicked it and had to rewire or something...

Looks like I'm going to need a new bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor would be my guess. Might ask them to replace all 4...

The computer the guy had at the shop was showing an air fuel mixture bouncing between 14:1 and 15:1 no decimal capability I guess, so perhaps it's accounting for rounding. Sensor 1 was giving no reading which tells me it's just dead.

Gonna try that first. If so, odd it caused a misfire?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Update...

Just removed the extension on the passenger side. Driver side looks like they need it. Couldn't even get close. The shop that installed them must have knicked it and had to rewire or something...

Looks like I'm going to need a new bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor would be my guess. Might ask them to replace all 4...

The computer the guy had at the shop was showing an air fuel mixture bouncing between 14:1 and 15:1 no decimal capability I guess, so perhaps it's accounting for rounding. Sensor 1 was giving no reading which tells me it's just dead.

Gonna try that first. If so, odd it caused a misfire?
I thought the 5.0 had wide band sensors? Can you not see the A/f on the dash? If not, get yourself an interceptor gauge!

Quick Reply: Cylinder 1 misfire - trouble idling