Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock P Zero Nero tires tread life

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
PeteInFlorida
1st Gear Member

I've got almost 7000 miles on mine, and have rotated them once. I hope they last until next February.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Criticalmass

Originally Posted by tbear853
I noticed some new cracking or "checking" in the rubber at the bottoms of the tread grooves on the date coded 3107 Perelli P-Zero Neros that were OEM on our '08 Mustang GT. We got the car last June, tires were easily 1/2 still there at 22,000 miles, but they had no cracks then. Since then, they've worn some and developed cracks in all 4. No more Perelli P-Zero Nero s for me.

Now it has 26,446 miles, and I don't want to risk damage to a rim (not scared of a flat, I've had a few and some at "extralegal" speeds) so Friday, I got her up on stands and pulled the wheels and loaded them in my PU along with 4 GoodYear Eagle RS-A tires I had set aside and carried them all to a buddies and we swapped them and balanced them and all is well again.

These are tires I know I can trust.

That's otherwise known as Dry Rot. had the same issue with stock Kumho's on my Focus after 3 years. I replaced them with the Continental's and was much happier.

My new 2014 Mustang GT has the Goodyear F1's on them.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Criticalmass
That's otherwise known as Dry Rot. had the same issue with stock Kumho's on my Focus after 3 years. I replaced them with the Continental's and was much happier.

My new 2014 Mustang GT has the Goodyear F1's on them.
Yep, Dry Rot. Happens to the best of tires depending on age and weather conditions. Here in AZ they recommend replacing the tires on cars that are always parked outside about every 4-5 years regardless of tread life to avoid blow outs. Every year around this time you can see reminders (tire shrapnel) of this all over the freeways.

Really cold weather cycles will also do this to tires.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 PM
jasonc32amg

Mine have just shy of 19,000 and are about done. I was never impressed by them and look forward to getting some 275/40 as3's on gt500s in thier place this week.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
1slov6stanguncc
2nd Gear Member

I got 28k then got 7 nails in them perks of building a house. they still had a few 1000 miles on them
Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I still have about 60% tread left on mine with 22k miles. Stock, all season PZeros. I have had them rotated an balanced every 3-5k miles when I take it in for an oil change/service.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

On my 2010 mustang I think I got about 35k out of the stock P zeros. Could have went further but the road noise coming off them was terrible.

From my experience dont put Cooper zeons on, the road noise on them was horrible as well. Was disapointed to see Cooper Zeons on the Roushs at a local dealer recently... who knows maybe I got a bad set.

My new 14 GT only has about 800 miles on it so no telling what I will get out of the PZeros but When they do go, I am going to put Michelen Pilots on like I should have with the '10.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbear853
I noticed some new cracking or "checking" in the rubber at the bottoms of the tread grooves on the date coded 3107 Perelli P-Zero Neros that were OEM on our '08 Mustang GT. We got the car last June, tires were easily 1/2 still there at 22,000 miles, but they had no cracks then. Since then, they've worn some and developed cracks in all 4. No more Perelli P-Zero Nero s for me.

Now it has 26,446 miles, and I don't want to risk damage to a rim (not scared of a flat, I've had a few and some at "extralegal" speeds) so Friday, I got her up on stands and pulled the wheels and loaded them in my PU along with 4 GoodYear Eagle RS-A tires I had set aside and carried them all to a buddies and we swapped them and balanced them and all is well again.

These are tires I know I can trust.

I had the same with my stock tires, all season ones. Didn't worry about it to much until my brother pointed it out and said it's not that safe to drive on them. I got 31000 miles out of them. Just bought new Cooper RS3-a tires and so far so good. I haven't had them out in rain or driven on and twisty roads yet to see how they handle.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I had roughly 35k on them, and that included a few trips to the drag strip.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I got as much as 50K miles on the stock P Zeros. I admit I did do some spirited driving which included chirping of the tires, but no full-tilt burn-outs.

The shortest my P Zeros have lases is as little as 5K miles; but not from wear; from nails puncturing the tires on a tread location that the tire shops refuse to fix or somehow the nail coming up like a claw and puncturing the sidewall (I don't even know how it happens but they did this mysterious maneuver to me twice).

Sidewall puncture = new tire. Not even your shade tree mechanic would try to plug/patch that.

Quick Reply: Stock P Zero Nero tires tread life