Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 GT manual trans gear whining problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by om3n
It's going to be a bit pricey but while they have the trans pulled I'm just going to have them replace the clutch. And apparently because it's an updated clutch it needs a new flywheel as well, which is kind of a bummer, but I will be kicking myself if I don't replace them I have no doubt. In total, with the rear main seal, that's going to be around ~$760.

I'm also keeping the old clutch and flywheel just in case.
An updated clutch? What is different on the revised one? I am curious to know...looking to maybe buy a MT in the future. I've heard of '11s and '12s having more issues but not sure what was done to improve later models.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
om3n

Originally Posted by Genxer
An updated clutch? What is different on the revised one? I am curious to know...looking to maybe buy a MT in the future. I've heard of '11s and '12s having more issues but not sure what was done to improve later models.
I will make sure to ask about the changes to the clutch the next time I talk to the service rep.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM
om3n

Just to update the thread, I'm still waiting on a reply from the dealership. I spoke with them on Monday and they are waiting on parts. Note that I asked what the changes were to the clutch, and the dude told me he would get back with me the next time we spoke.

They've now had the GT for almost 3 weeks. If I don't hear back on Monday, I'll give them another call.

Thing is, it's getting close to the time when I put the Mustang away for the winter, so I'd like to drive it a few more times before summer ends- especially to break in the new clutch.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM
om3n

Default Mustang Back!

The dealership called me on Monday and explained that it would take TWO OR MORE WEEKS for them to get a new clutch in from the manufacturer. I was pretty unhappy.

Note that before I even asked for them to install a new clutch, I asked them what they thought of the existing clutch and they told me that it had tons of life and that they didn't recommend that I replace it, so because of that and because it would take 2 more weeks I just asked them to cancel the clutch and only do the warranty work. They finished the trans and I picked up the mustang on Friday, and drove it all weekend.

In general, I'm happy with Seymore Ford and how they dealt with me- people there were super friendly and I dealt with the same Service Rep the entire time, and I did feel he kept me up to date and he answered all my questions and did everything I asked him to do. I've had a few dealership experiences lately and theirs has been the best, but I still am only partially satisfied. It took forever for them to get parts (3 weeks of waiting on parts for a warranty car is kind of ridiculous), and before I picked it up they told me they were going to clean up the mustang because it got all dusty from being in the shop for over a month, but they only partially washed the outside (didn't get the deck lid) and the engine bay they didn't touch: it is still covered in dust.

But... now the whine is gone. It feels like a different car entirely. I was previously using the whine to know when to shift, so it took me a bit to get used to no whine. It's now pure exhaust and sounds fantastic again . Not only that, but shifting feels "crisper" and less mechanical, if that makes sense. They may have changed the type of trans fluid. Later I might post a before and after video of what it sounded like then, and now.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you got it resolved. All cars have issues from time to time. For me, return business is how those issues are handled. Honda used to be fabulous at helping out the customer. That's one reason they were clobbering American car makers for so long. Also, it depends on the dealership as you found out.

In the '15 Mustang I have read that the clutch, bearings and synchros have been improved. It seems that Ford is trying.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:32 AM
om3n

Originally Posted by Genxer
Glad to hear you got it resolved. All cars have issues from time to time. For me, return business is how those issues are handled. Honda used to be fabulous at helping out the customer. That's one reason they were clobbering American car makers for so long. Also, it depends on the dealership as you found out.

In the '15 Mustang I have read that the clutch, bearings and synchros have been improved. It seems that Ford is trying.
Yeah, I'm very happy to have proper bearings now, and even the syncros feel better. If I ever need a new clutch I'll just replace it myself over a winter, but I have had 0 issues with the current clutch and expect it to last a long time.

And I realize that the dealership only has so much power over when they get parts, so I can't fault them that. The service rep I dealt with was awesome, super friendly and a great communicator, so I have to give them an B+ for customer service, only faulting how dirty my car was when I got it back.

But honestly, I have been appalled by the customer service of the other dealerships I've dealt with recently, like it's absolutely ridiculous. I should give another review on the dealership close to my house, when I asked them to give me a trade in quote for my truck... it's a 2002 FX4 with 132K miles and basically new BFG AT's, and it's pretty rusty (Michigan winters), but mechanically in good shape. They offered me $750 for it and when I politely explained that it was too low and that I was just going to head out and sell it on my own, the customer rep I talked to literally yelled at me and said stuff like "Well how much would you pay for that thing?? We both know it's completely rusted out, it's not even worth $750 dollars..." etc. And honestly it's pretty rusty but not completely rusted out or unsafe... the bed is pretty bad but that could be replaced if someone really wanted. I put it at the end of the front yard two days ago with a for sale sign and I'm asking $3,500 and am getting lots of interest Regardless, the way he acted was completely unprofessional and embarrassing, and I just wanted to leave. This was the same dealership with the service manager who yelled at me over the phone. Like, unprovoked yelling is this dealership's favorite thing to do.