Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Too many miles for a Whipple SC'ed 05 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
JustWinBaby26

Default Too many miles for a Whipple SC'ed 05 GT?

Hey guys. I own a 2000 GT at the moment. Completely stock. It's a decent looking car but not my favorite body style of the Stangs. I'm looking at an 05 right now but I had a few questions on a potential new purchase.

The car is an 05 GT Premium. Whipple supercharger, cold air induction, mass air flow senser, k and n air filter, borla exhaust system. foose 20" chrome wheels with nitto nt 555 255/35 zr20 tires, custom Ford racing suspension-lowered, tinted windows. It's literally everything I'd do to my car (except maybe some headers/mid pipe, and cams). It's literally everything I'd want to do to my car (maybe minus headers, mid-pipe, and cams) But here is the kicker:

It has 108k miles on it. I talked to the guy on the phone and I'm going to look at it tomorrow. He drives 80 miles per day to and from work. And so did the owner before him before he bought it, so its almost all HW miles. The SC was put on around 70k. He is an older guy and said he meticulously maintains the car and has all service records. Never raced or abused. Said he just likes to have the power to accelerate up to speed. I've done some homework on the SC's (especially the Whipple) and the only issues I've heard come from people who do not maintain their cars, or who push the car past redline on stock internals; which I have been told has never been done with this car. Is this too many miles to consider purchasing? I'd love to hear from someone who has or who has known someone with a SC, and has over 100k on it. Just looking for some guidance here. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:46 AM
kn7671

The mileage isn't horrible, but definitely not ideal if you're seriously looking to supercharge. If you were not looking to supercharge, I would say you found a great car, as long as the price is right.

If you're going to blow your budget on the vehicles purchase and the purchase of a supercharger, I would either pass on the car, or two, wait on the SC until you had the funds to get a built short block.

Unfortunately it will be very hard to know how healthy the engine currently is. We know that the 4.6L engines regularly see 250k+ miles in stuff like Crown Vics, F150's, and Town Cars, but to ask an seasoned engine to hold up under a supercharger could be too much and require a rebuild quicker than you're ready for.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 AM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
The mileage isn't horrible, but definitely not ideal if you're seriously looking to supercharge. If you were not looking to supercharge, I would say you found a great car, as long as the price is right.

If you're going to blow your budget on the vehicles purchase and the purchase of a supercharger, I would either pass on the car, or two, wait on the SC until you had the funds to get a built short block.

Unfortunately it will be very hard to know how healthy the engine currently is. We know that the 4.6L engines regularly see 250k+ miles in stuff like Crown Vics, F150's, and Town Cars, but to ask an seasoned engine to hold up under a supercharger could be too much and require a rebuild quicker than you're ready for.
Solid advice but you missed the part about the SC already being installed.

OP - I know you're looking for experience because you're (potentially) about to gamble a ton of money. I can't offer that as I mine only has 3700 miles and no blower.

What I can offer is that the experience of others here has nothing to do with that particular engine. The best bet is to take it to a mechanic that is familiar with engines with power adders and have it checked. There has to be a performance shop near you that has someone that can put eyes on it. May cost you up front but it will be well worth it if you pull the trigger.

GL on the decision - hopefully it's got another 100k to go.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have had a blower on mine for 4 years now. It made well over 300 passes on the drag strip. Car only has 31k miles. The car drives as good now as it did when I bought it 5 years ago. 100k is nothing with these motors but with a SC who really knows. It's all in the tune and how abused it's been. IMO don't buy it. Lots of 05-09 stangs out there to choose from. You will find another.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Well if I were selling my car then I know the purchaser would be getting a solid car. Sure its seen track duty but its not driven crazy on the street. Maintenace is kept up and logged on my computer with receipts. Like 808 said its the tune and if the guy beat on it. Its a gamble that even a good mechanic could miss. I believe the only real way to have the motor checked would be to either open up and physically take a look or with a camra. But hell if you have 10k sitting around for a new motor then screw it and do it
Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 PM
JustWinBaby26

Thanks for the input guys. After giving it some thought for a few weeks, i'm going to pass on this particular car. It's a gorgeous car, but at the end of the day I just don't want to take the risk with the mileage. I do know the two owners of this car were retired gentlemen who took good care of it; but it's still a SC'd car with 110k on it. And they have probably had their share of fun with it. Maybe it would go another 100k, maybe it would go another 20k, who knows. I'm going to hang onto my 2000 GT with 96k miles on it for a little while longer, and maybe put some more $$$ into that. I'm going the safe route. Thanks again for the input.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ask him if he uses 5w20, if yes, then pass! Bearings are getting ready to spin if they haven't all ready, lol! Seriously, take it for a test drive. If it runs good, doesn't smoke at WOT and the oil/coolant look clean, then buy it.

I give my car WOT every time I drive it, I wouldn't call that beating on it. I drift it out of the parking lot at work, don't consider that beating on it either. Top speed runs, that's beating on it IMO.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Moosestang. Why do you ask about 5-20 oil? Just curious. I have run 5-20 full synthetic in my 06 for 5 years. I figure that's the recommended and best oil for the 4.6 3V for years now.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Moosestang. Why do you ask about 5-20 oil? Just curious. I have run 5-20 full synthetic in my 06 for 5 years. I figure that's the recommended and best oil for the 4.6 3V for years now.
Wanna hear something odd after I had my motor rebuilt brenspeed said to stick with conventional. More pressure I guess. There a lot of opinions about this stuff
Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Wanna hear something odd after I had my motor rebuilt brenspeed said to stick with conventional. More pressure I guess. There a lot of opinions about this stuff
They prolly told you that cause full synthetic isn't "recommended" until after 5k miles.

Quick Reply: Too many miles for a Whipple SC'ed 05 GT?