Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Leaking GT Trunk Medallion

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:37 PM
V8StickConv
1st Gear Member

Default Leaking GT Trunk Medallion

I have a 2005 GT convertible. When I open the trunk lid to full open, water comes out from behind the GT trunk medallion. The key slot is at the 12 o'clock position, and the leak is about 11 o'clock. A lot of water comes out after a hard rain. If I don't put a towel under the left edge of the trunk lid, the water drains off the edge of the trunk lid and splatters onto the weatherstrip below and then onto the trunk floor. I assume a gasket is broken beneath the medallion. Has any one dealt with this problem? Tips on where to get a new gasket and how best to disassemble the medallion from the trunk lid would be most appreciated.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Mine does this too. I think it's normal for water to get behind it as long as it doesn't leak into the trunk while closed.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its probably your third brake light that is leaking,
not your medallion. There are drains present that
must be clogged on your stang.
Open the trunk and you will see slits where the
trunk skin is attached to the inner structure.
This is where any water that gets into this area
to drain.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:32 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The water is collecting on the foam that glues the emblem to the trunk. It's normal for a little water to get back there as its not completely sealed around the edge.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:44 PM
V8StickConv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The water is collecting on the foam that glues the emblem to the trunk. It's normal for a little water to get back there as its not completely sealed around the edge.
This was more than "a little water". It was a steady 1/2 inch-wide stream for a few seconds and then it tapered out. The stream definitely came from behind the emblem when the trunk was fully open. Perhaps it is a matter of this water not draining where it is supposed to drain. I'll try to check the drain holes like the other guy said. If this is a design flaw, it's awfully odd that Ford didn't spot it during testing. I love Ford quality so far, but continued holding of water could damage trunk paint, the GT Emblem, and the lock cylinder at the top. BTW, I garage the car at home and park in a covered deck for work.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:48 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I agree with pnyxpress as to the problem, but yes V8stickconv it is more than a little water.

I've had this issue since I bought my GT brand new in 2006. It is also not garaged, so this occurs often.8 years and 100k miles later,you reminded me of it since I dismissed it like a Mustang quirk, along with the flapping hood, among other minor issues these cars have.

I guess you can have a body shop remove/ re install it.

A co workers '06 GT doesn't do this.... Along with no hood paint issues,etc... He's lucky!
Old 12-01-2014, 08:31 PM
V8StickConv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
I agree with pnyxpress as to the problem, but yes V8stickconv it is more than a little water.

I've had this issue since I bought my GT brand new in 2006. It is also not garaged, so this occurs often.8 years and 100k miles later,you reminded me of it since I dismissed it like a Mustang quirk, along with the flapping hood, among other minor issues these cars have.

I guess you can have a body shop remove/ re install it.

A co workers '06 GT doesn't do this.... Along with no hood paint issues,etc... He's lucky!
Thanks. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one, but sorry to find out that there's no easy solution.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Mine was doing that, I pushed a thin screwdriver through the foam at the base of the emblem so the water could drain out. Haven't had a problem since.