Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hell! Hail!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:58 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Buffed it out today with Griot's Garage buffer and a 1 step polish sealant which i've been using on my Red '89 GMC PU which still looks stunning. Hood now looks pristine. Those dent guys are amazing for sure!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 PM
scottmoyer

I do PDR and I can explain what you are seeing with the hood. The hood being aluminum reacts differently to dent removal. Steal has a memory and wants to return to it's original shape, so getting dents out early is best. Aluminum takes the new shape immediately and removing the dent requires that you reshape the metal. Every push that is made is the new shape of that portion of the metal. Aluminum is a lot harder to work than steal. Because the metal moves differently, the finished product is harder to get perfect again. A trick used by the pro's is to lightly wetsand the dented area to hide the highs and lows of the newly shaped metal. After a polish, the damaged area should be unnoticeable.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I do PDR and I can explain what you are seeing with the hood. The hood being aluminum reacts differently to dent removal. Steal has a memory and wants to return to it's original shape, so getting dents out early is best. Aluminum takes the new shape immediately and removing the dent requires that you reshape the metal. Every push that is made is the new shape of that portion of the metal. Aluminum is a lot harder to work than steal. Because the metal moves differently, the finished product is harder to get perfect again. A trick used by the pro's is to lightly wetsand the dented area to hide the highs and lows of the newly shaped metal. After a polish, the damaged area should be unnoticeable.
I appreciate you sharing this with the board. I must say that I am even more impressed by Jason's work now! I've kept the GT looking like new since '05 watching for any issue that may arise with its look. The hood being what it is even lifting it, and getting light reflections off of it, I can only say it looks perfect! I have not been able to see a glimmer of the dents, nor, of where they had been.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 AM
scottmoyer

I guess I didn't clearly respond to the "marring" portion of your post. Sorry about that. PDR requires that you push from the low side of the dent or tap down the high side. Sometimes, a push from below might not be enough to lift the damage up, so a slightly harder push is made and it over pushes. When that happens, you need to tap it back down to the proper height from the top side. Some paints are so soft, that the tapper will leave indents in the paint after tapping. Multiple taps can leave a "marred" look. I've had the same "marring" from paints and also softer aluminum. If the dent is lifted, but the "marring" remains, park the car in the sun and see if the heat will level out the paint again. If not, then you can use 1500 or 2000 wet sand paper to level the repaired area and then polish to a great shine. It's hard to recreate the exact levels of paint orange peel that the factory did on a flat hood when reshaping a dent.

Steel is more springy and wants to work with you. Aluminum and today's paints are working against you. Sounds like the tech did a great job. If the owner can't see any remaining damage, then the work was done correctly.