Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 Mustang GT High Flow Cats Smog! CALIFORNIA!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

Default 2006 Mustang GT High Flow Cats Smog! CALIFORNIA!

Hey guys,

I got a pair of Flowmaster Outlaws Paired with my Pypes offroad X pipe and it sounds great but is obnoxious! I want to quiet them down, and pass the test for California's smog. Now yes I know these cats are not 50 state legal, no EO code, etc. I know that, that isn't the issue I am going to have.

I personally know the smog tech at the smog station, and I want high flow cats regardless to quiet down my exhaust.

The new California Smog is as follows:
- Drive your car up on the dyno
- Visual Inspection (Stock Airbox, Cats, etc)
- Scanning your OBDII Port for Stock Tune, No CEL, etc

"Due to begin mid 2014; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe portion of the smog inspection."

"Late model vehicles will be administered the new On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Inspection System (OIS) instead of having their exhaust emission analyzed while being driven on a dynamometer. The existing visual and functional test portions of the smog inspection will still apply."

"The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system."

The visual isn't a problem for me, the only problem I have is with the state computer and my ECU. Everything else isn't an issue. I can only pass with a 6/7 anything less is an automatic FAIL!

This is what I have planned,

I plan on taking off my JLT 110mm intake, putting the car back to the stock tune, and adding a set of Pypes High Flow cats to my offroad x pipe. Now I know I need to drive 100 miles for the ecu to go through it's cycle, but I'm going to drive the car real easy in that 100 miles so no check engline light will go on. Around 80 miles i'm going to head to the smog station and get the car smogged, i'm going to leave the car on so it'll help out with the ecu reading its emissions.

The question I have for you guys is will my Stock ECU throw a code for high flow cats, and do you think it will realize that it's not throwing the same emissions as the Factory Cats and throw a code? Once again there is no sniffer, the ECU just decides for itself whether its a pass or a fail.

And also when I add my high flow cats, one 02 sensor goes on top, the other will go in the cat, but what would I do with that extra hole?

Last edited by GCCBrian; 08-22-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

It'll more than likely throw a code with the high flow cats. Not sure where your going to have an extra hole but just use a bung plug.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Genxer
1st Gear Member

You can try putting a 90 degree o2 sensor bung extension on there for the secondary o2 sensor. I've done that on my import with a high flow cat and it's kept the light off. I think aftermarket cats don't contain as much rare metal as OEM units so they can be troublesome staying in spec. I'm not sure how that would fly with a visual inspection in Cal but I live in a state where they plug into the OBDII port and check for issues, and no failures for me.