Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT Alternating A/C issues, driving me crazy! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Napjr

Exclamation 2005 GT Alternating A/C issues, driving me crazy! Help!

Greetings fellas!

I live in Mexico and currently i have a really annoying problem with my Pony, for over one Month the A/C stops working, alternates from cold to simply Air. I can start the engine, at any ambient temperature and works well for a few minutes, but then comes suddenly fails, can last for a while, and again cold for a couple of minutes, and again fails

Right now, being looked by a fifth mechanic, and no one can find the problem

I'll try to be as detailed as possible about the history of my car

It is a 2005 GT, Im the second owner when i got it in 2009, the car seems to be treated well by the previous owner, except for some unnecesary cosmetic changes (22 inches wheels, paint, etc), engine has never been modified (except changing spark plugs, had to replace the engine mounts 3 months ago ), two battery changes since I got it (Optima Red), neon lights by the previous owner, and in 2011 got the water leak issue into the passenger seat, although no apparent damage to the fuse box on that side from what i can tell

The first time the climate failed, i took it with my usual technician, He mentioned that it was a little low on gas, so he proceed to charge it. The next day, failed again, i went back and he mentioned that it had a false contact in a sensor next to the air intake, which he "tighted" and "patched" enough to so made contact better, but it was ideal to change that sensor. Again, the failure, we tryed with a new sensor but didnt worked

The technician spoke to an electrictrician, checked the A/c controls inside the car and supposedly had a faulty ****, so he proceeded to perform a "microsurgery"

Nothing worked, so i changed the workshop, where we found the air compressor was turning on/off frequently. They advised to go with a Ford dealer to check that. Went to the closer one to my home, but they only spent diagnosing other things irrelevant to this problem at the time, charging too much money, and they allegedly found a faulty pressure bulb with a gas leak and recommended changing the whole system of tubes all the way to the compressor, but they didnt had that part in stock. They didnt noticed the compressor turning on/off either, and couldnt replicate the failure

Then, i decided to take my car and return to the previous mechanical, but they didnt found any kind of leak (or so they told me)

I went to another mechanic (engine mostly, but he knew someone that could look into my problem), he saw the problem driving the car, and talking with his contact, they come to the conclusion that the fuse box had a bad contact for the climate control relay / module corresponding to the compressor fails intermittently, especially with some vibration (some bump, hole in the ground, etc). Recommend a new fuse box, ended up buying in the dealership ... and still, the compressor fails

Now he is recommending testing with a new computer, they can not find the cause of failure of communication, but they need to find a new computer and reprogram it

Currently the car, when ignited, you can hear the compressor turns on and off air

Any ideas what can I do?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Napjr

No one has any ideas?
Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 PM
roegs
1st Gear Member

I re-read the post a couple of times but am not sure I fully understand the problem. Either way, here are a couple of thoughts.

1. The AC system is designed for the compressor to cycle. It does need to be properly charged however, and you'll probably need someone with a set of guages to check the freon level.

2. You mentioned there are times when the air from the vents is not cool. I think you need to determine if its really an AC problem, or a problem with the temp doors etc. in the dash area. A simple way to check is to feel the AC line going into the evaporator (in the dash) to see if its cold during one of the periods when the vent is not blowing cold air.

3. It sounds as if someone did some work on the interior HVAC controls. Can you elaborate on what they did?

4. Water in the passenger kick panel can cause all kinds of havoc. Did this start happening after you had water in that area?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Napjr

Originally Posted by roegs
I re-read the post a couple of times but am not sure I fully understand the problem. Either way, here are a couple of thoughts.

1. The AC system is designed for the compressor to cycle. It does need to be properly charged however, and you'll probably need someone with a set of guages to check the freon level.

2. You mentioned there are times when the air from the vents is not cool. I think you need to determine if its really an AC problem, or a problem with the temp doors etc. in the dash area. A simple way to check is to feel the AC line going into the evaporator (in the dash) to see if its cold during one of the periods when the vent is not blowing cold air.

3. It sounds as if someone did some work on the interior HVAC controls. Can you elaborate on what they did?

4. Water in the passenger kick panel can cause all kinds of havoc. Did this start happening after you had water in that area?

Thanks for the reply, sorry, i know my text can be confusing, but we use different terms for many pieces in spanish that once translated, sounds weird to the common names in english (im not even sure what the compressor clutch is named commonly here for example)

Found another technician, right now they are looking into it, answering your questions:

1.- This new place, upon arrival, checked the freon level, and it was ok

2.- Wich part would that be? the tech guy said earlier today, that even though the freon was ok, and the fuse box was working, something in between was causing the compressor to not fully engage

3.- Im not even sure what they did, apparently they checked the ***** and supposedly, resolder something, although i never noticed any problem there (all the lights worked, defrost and dash worked, heat control changed when i turned the ****). I lost however, the power connector inside the arm rest box (doesnt work anymore, but the one on the dash does)

4.- My passenger floor flooded like 2-3 years ago, but never had any issues since then and never had another flood ever