Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 Mind of it's own

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM
ruddrunner53

Default 05 Mind of it's own

I have a 2005 GT 4.6 v8...just this past week the wipers go on all by themselves while in the off position... Has anyone else ever experienced this and If so what was diagnosis of malfunction ?
Thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

You might have the water leak onto the Smart Junction Box.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like the SJB... Smart Junction Box... basically what happens is the car leaks water right into a fairly important. For an 05 this is common, I know that there are a few temporary fixes but basically a drain is clogged and it lets water back up into the car by the passenger's footwell.
do a search on here and you will be able to find a solution to that... if that is what is happening.
If it is something else then I have no idea. lol.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:03 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

+1 on everything thus far. you have a bit of work to do to fix this. the sjb is hot all the time meaning that if water finds ground via leaky connector then what your describing happens. I had one pass side brake light on constantly for a while after hard rain. problem was water on sjb and connectors. search the forum for info. I can tell you that ive auto gooped my cowl clips as the factory gaskets leak. check your firewall drains. if you have your glove box out then check the body harness that goes thru to engine bay or door (cant remember at this time) but there was water leak there as well. search the TSB as well. lots of fun reading. after all the headaches this car has put me thru, I still get a smile on my face when I turn the key. good luck
Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unfortunately, I have to concur; sounds like the infamous water leak, chronic to mostly 05's and 06's and some beyond. Theres a TSB on it but few dealerships can manage to get it right. Also, its not covered out of warranty. Many electrical gremlins can occur. Expect more.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:05 AM
ruddrunner53

I just watched a youtube video which shows a virtual swimming pool in the fire wall right it the area of the cabin filter. They say there is a clogged drain hole that most likely is to blame. Right now it's still below freezing where I am so I probably have a strange shaped ice cube in there....no issues at present we'll have to wait and see when it warms up....if issues come back I'll have to get under that plastic trim and see if drain truly is clogged.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:30 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

the 2 cowl drains are on either side of the motor just under a bend in the fire wall, you can access them thru the engine bay. they are pretty flimsy rubber and can be pulled out and put back in rather quickly
Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The cowl drain plugs aren't what causes the SJB corrosion issue. Yes, clogged drain plugs allow water to back up thru the cabin air filter but it takes water dripping down the passenger side kick panel from above the SJB to cause your issues. That leak is a totally different area than that due to the plugged grommets.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM
MuscleStangGT05
1st Gear Member

Went through a car wash (it was winter, I had to!!) and my car was hardcore leaking water under the glove box. Turns out it was the clogged cowl drain plugs. Super easy fix....beware what you might find in there, its kinda nasty. Just go in like your replacing your cabin air filter and see if there's a pool waiting for you.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

This problem is more likely to happen if you park your car under a tree and you have leaves falling into the cowl area. The leaves block the drain holes and water accumulates in the cowl area. Naturally the problem rears its ugly head after you've been through a car wash or had a spell of heavy rain.
I tend to avoid parking under trees anyway 'cause they're the birds' toilet and the acidic droppings can eat into the paint.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 02-05-2015 at 04:20 AM.

Quick Reply: 05 Mind of it's own