Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air intakes.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default Air intakes.

I've been reading countless threads about cold air intakes and the massive gains they provide. These intakes are expensive and for the average person, who wants to have their own unique ride can be misleading with there claims.
If you like the look or the sound, I totally understand. But if your looking for an extra 44 horsepower please PLEASE, have a look at the following link, which contains this quote.
"Note: requires a minimum of 91 octane fuel for power gains."

http://www.steeda.ca/ford-mustang-pa...tang/555-3156/
Old 06-30-2015, 05:31 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Steeda's claim of a 44hp and 52ft/lbs gain for their CAI & tuner is a load of hot air (or BS if you like)! The best you can expect from a CAI & tuner on an '11 GT is 25rwhp.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:45 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Also found on that link !
...." Tune Required - A custom tune file is required for use with this product. "
....." Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 44hp and 52ft/lbs of torque!

SCT Performance is the leader in the Ford tuning industry and Steeda's partner in developing this powerful package.

"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Performance
Old 07-02-2015, 10:35 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

I've been reading countless threads about cold air intakes and the massive gains they provide. These intakes are expensive and for the average person, who wants to have their own unique ride can be misleading with there claims.
If you like the look or the sound, I totally understand. But if your looking for an extra 44 horsepower please PLEASE, have a look at the following link, which contains this quote.
"Note: requires a minimum of 91 octane fuel for power gains."
The CAI you are looking at cannot be used without a tune ... we do sell non-tune CAIs here ... that is why it is showing only numbers with a tune:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-cold-ai...9-gt-555-3201/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The numbers are the numbers ... we have done our testing & we have seen peak gains of up to 44 HP.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-02-2015, 10:37 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Performance
Many companies use SCT & we hang our hat on Chris Johnsons's feedback!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The numbers are the numbers ... we have done our testing & we have seen peak gains of up to 44 HP.

Those look like dyno curves from a 4.6 3V. The blue curves match the numbers from a bone stock 3V but the red curves look virtually identical to another dyno sheet I've seen with a CAI, underdrive pulleys, and a 93 octane race tune. Unless my math is wrong, I'm seeing a 34rwhp and 26rwtq gain. Not 44rwhp but still very respectable numbers.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default 91 octane required for horsepower gain

"The numbers are the numbers ... we have done our testing & we have seen peak gains of up to 44 HP."

What im saying is, show me your steeda 93 race tune with a stock factory air box numbers and put it side by side your cold air intake tune numbers. I dont think youll see much if any difference in power.

Last edited by Shane780; 07-02-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default The times are the times.

Lets have a look at the factory air box performance.

These are the real numbers.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:10 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Where do you see $523. there??? With the last Hot Rod I built I bought a complete set of aluminum heads with valves, springs, etc. for a Chevy Small Block for about that price! The markup must be tremendous! I'm still waiting to see INDEPENDENT SCIENTIFIC testing on these units. "IF" you have a vehicle with extremely restricted airflow you might get a decent increase in HP, but with a 2015 Mustang I need to see carefully done "independent" tests to believe it! If HP was so easily added with these bolt on products why wouldn't manufacturers add them to cars they sell based on performance. Tuners depend on the "detuning" of engines by manufacturers from maximum settings to add HP. So a tuner makes sense. It is easier for a manufacturer to add HP to an engine by changing the tuning every year or so than making real changes in design.

As I've said before, "Fishing lures don't have to catch fish. They have to catch fishermen!"

Last edited by Mr. D; 07-02-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air intakes.