Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dangling ground wire by PCM/fan connector. Where's it go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:34 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Default Dangling ground wire by PCM/fan connector. Where's it go?

Hi everyone,

Been having some odd problems with the 2011 Mustang GT lately. Fan stopped going, connector melted. Cleaned that up but it did it again, won't turn on anymore. I tested the fan by itself, it runs fine on 12v. I checked with Ford for the fan motor to PCM/connector/whatever, the 1 foot long cable that has the resistor. Ford wants $183 for just that cable, wth? Fan PLUS cable is $190. Found the same thing at NAPA for $138, sheez.

Anyway, also been having some odd smell (wiring, burning smell), I believe coming from under the seat. It isn't the power seat, just manual. Has an airbag connector and one other, disconnected both.

So, I'm in the middle of replacing the fan, putting in new coolant (barfed it all on the way home), and I found a ground wire dangling. Anyone know where it is suppose to go? Picture location is by the PCM & fan connector area, passenger side of the engine. At the bottom is the A/C compressor.

Check the attachment for a full size pic of the ground wire I'm talking about. I don't know if that is causing this problem with the fan, if it is unrelated, or the odd stuff going on under the seat. May be unrelated stuff, but no fuses are blowing which is kind of scary considering the heat being produced.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Dangling ground wire by PCM/fan connector. Where's it go?-2011-mgt-groundwire.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 PM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

Well, the fun continues. Can confirm the diagnostic port is shorted, nothing is working there. Connecting the battery results in an ozone & burning smell, slight bit of smoke highly dispersed and still no fuses blowing. NO idea what is going on. Everything still disconnected under the seat.

Also the connector in the picture has a full connection to the battery ground lead so instead of it needing grounding I'm assuming it is suppose to ground something else. If anyone has a 2011-2014 GT and can look where it connects to I'd appreciate it.

Going to bring the car up to the Ford dealership this weekend if it doesn't burst into flames on the way and see if they can find out what is going on. Whee. :\ Anyone have, heard of or seen similar wiring problems? Looked up under the dash but couldn't see anything worth mentioning.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, no idea what the problem could be, but good luck in getting it fixed safely and cost effectively!