Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to do 06GT vs. 11-12 vs. more mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Phil1098

Default What to do 06GT vs. 11-12 vs. more mods

I have a brand new old car, it's a garage kept 06 GT with 6k miles. The car still smells new and is perfect. It currently has a FRRP CAI, BAMA 93 tune, CMDP, Kooks LT headers with off road H, FR500 mufflers, MGW shifter, and rear Koni shocks.

Here is where I am: Every $ I put into this car is going down the drain at a rate, it's a 10 year old car. I can't out run that. I'm considering an intake, cams and TB. This is another $2k. Should I instead sell the 06 for what I can and use the money saved and the money from the car and buy a 2011 or 2012 and get a coyote motor? I'm not thrilled with the idea of an early MT82 transmission, but the motor is way better than I have. If I throw $5k at a supercharger then I am really stuck with this car and have a bit more power than a coyote. If I sell the car a used GT500 is a possibility, but I really don't want to spend $30k+ for a weekend car. My daily driver is a company car, so the Mustang is just for fun. Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have an 07 GT that I bought new. It now has 20K on the odometer, meaning I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I would love to have the coyote motor, that is the only thing missing that I don't want to live without. That being said: I like the body style of the 05-09s better than the 10-14s. I also like the interior much better. My car sits all winter and I drive it on nice days in the summer. I will take a bath if I trade it in. I don't race it, I bought it because it reminds me of the 66 I had in high school. I have put a CAI and tune in it, Koni STRT struts and shocks, Roush seat covers, and a few other cosmetic changes.

I have decided I can live with the 4.6L engine. No, it isn't a coyote. It still has plenty of power, and you can only go so fast on the highway. I like the way the car looks and drives, it is paid for, and I am not crazy about the interior of the next generation. I will keep my money, maintain it and just enjoy the car I have.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I bought my car brand new, it now has 19,000 miles. Unless it gets totaled I will never get rid of it. Sure the 5.0 is a beast, and I'd love to have that engine as well. But you'll be in the same boat in a few years after buying a 5.0. You'll be looking at what is newer/faster and wishing for that.

It's impossible to keep up with the Jones'. I say keep your car, and work at a financial rate you are comfortable with and make it "your car". Cars are a depreciating asset. So why start over with something else? And end up losing money on that vehicle as well?

Also, there is always stroker kits available for the 4.6. That's my long term goal.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phil1098
I have a brand new old car, it's a garage kept 06 GT with 6k miles. The car still smells new and is perfect. It currently has a FRRP CAI, BAMA 93 tune, CMDP, Kooks LT headers with off road H, FR500 mufflers, MGW shifter, and rear Koni shocks.

Here is where I am: Every $ I put into this car is going down the drain at a rate, it's a 10 year old car. I can't out run that. I'm considering an intake, cams and TB. This is another $2k. Should I instead sell the 06 for what I can and use the money saved and the money from the car and buy a 2011 or 2012 and get a coyote motor?
Don't sell it. A mildly modded 4.6 3V already has more than enough power to get you into trouble and the Coyote engine, though tempting, just has even more power that you'd only use < 1% of the time. Since you're only doing 600 miles/year (I do that many in a month), it would be a futile money-wasting exercise adding more mods or trying to keep up with the Jones' so just enjoy your car as it is.

Last edited by Dino Dino Bambino; 02-15-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:57 PM
crjackson2134

It's a tight low mileage engine. Throw a blower on it and you won't miss a thing.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Got an 06 with 35k and nearly every mod you can buy....cams, blower, LTs, full suspension and just recently Corbeau seats. My cars not going anywhere. I say keep it, add a blower and enjoy it for another 10 years.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:11 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry, but I have to ask, since you apparently don't even drive it (6,000 in 10 years) why does the engine or performance actually matter?
If you're going to trade it, trade it on a low miles 2007-09 GT500 that you can do the same thing with, but will probably actually begin to go up in value in another 10-20 years.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Phil1098

Originally Posted by danzcool
I'm sorry, but I have to ask, since you apparently don't even drive it (6,000 in 10 years) why does the engine or performance actually matter?
If you're going to trade it, trade it on a low miles 2007-09 GT500 that you can do the same thing with, but will probably actually begin to go up in value in another 10-20 years.
No problem with the question, I didn't buy the car new, I am the second owner and have had it a little more than a year and a half. I bought it with 3K miles on it. I'm 56 and just like to go for a drive on warm sunny days with the windows down and listen to the thing. Most of my days were spent on sport bikes, my last was a 1098 Ducati, after that most cars don't feel that fast. I'm sure a 10 second Mustang would, but I don't want a drag car or the fastest thing on the street, just some more push. Your second paragraph actually is what I am thinking about. A GT500 probably won't fall so far out of bed value wise as a GT.

A blower kit sure sounds like a good way to keep me smiling for a long time.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Good, 3000 miles in a year is fun weekend driving (and not "garage queen" duty).
There is just something about boost, so trading to a gt500 or adding a blower would probably make you happier than a plain coyote. And an 07-09 GT500 probably won't lose much more value... If you want the absolute sweet spot value-wise, an 03-04 cobra 'terminator' is where it's at right now.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
G If you want the absolute sweet spot value-wise, an 03-04 cobra 'terminator' is where it's at right now.
If you can find one that's still unmolested and relatively rust free.

Quick Reply: What to do 06GT vs. 11-12 vs. more mods