Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Starting the year wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 AM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

Default Starting the year wrong

Ok, My car has been put away for the last 3 months. I have a strange problem in the shifter either my hurst is messed up somehow or my 2nd gear synchronizer is crap. Anyways I am getting ready to take it to the performance shop to get worked on I dug the car out and it's completely dead. No biggie it's my fault I didn't start it in the last 2 months just got busy and forgot. I jumped it, and it fired right up. I let it idle for around 10 minutes and as soon as I turned the key off the lights flickered and completely dead again. It had a strange clicking coming from the glove box area for a couple minutes then it quit too.
Now it's a pain in the *** cuz I have to completely reset the radio and accessories, and might have to reflash my tune.
Should I assume that I just killed the battery or be worried about something more??
Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

New battery and drive cycle relearn. Low battery voltage makes computer do stupid things.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragman72
Ok, My car has been put away for the last 3 months. I have a strange problem in the shifter either my hurst is messed up somehow or my 2nd gear synchronizer is crap. Anyways I am getting ready to take it to the performance shop to get worked on I dug the car out and it's completely dead. No biggie it's my fault I didn't start it in the last 2 months just got busy and forgot. I jumped it, and it fired right up. I let it idle for around 10 minutes and as soon as I turned the key off the lights flickered and completely dead again. It had a strange clicking coming from the glove box area for a couple minutes then it quit too.
Now it's a pain in the *** cuz I have to completely reset the radio and accessories, and might have to reflash my tune.
Should I assume that I just killed the battery or be worried about something more??
if you ran the battery completely flat, put it on a real battery charger for a while. Don't torture your alternator trying to make it recharge a flat battery.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:12 AM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

I am going to have to get the kids to re setup the radio I have in it, I am way to old to mess with it.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:20 AM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
if you ran the battery completely flat, put it on a real battery charger for a while. Don't torture your alternator trying to make it recharge a flat battery.
do you think that it is possibly still good? I figured it wouldn't be charged and was going to get it charged up later this week for good but to run for 10 minutes and be completely dead as soon as key kicked off seems a little weird. I am not sure though on the newer stuff.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 AM
09blacklnf

do you think that it is possibly still good? I figured it wouldn't be charged and was going to get it charged up later this week for good but to run for 10 minutes and be completely dead as soon as key kicked off seems a little weird. I am not sure though on the newer stuff.
Charge it and get a volt meter tester. That should tell you whether or not your battery is any good once you charge it for some time.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Price of batteries it's worth giving it a charge and seeing if it holds it.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

So what is the best replacement battery out there? even though it's a 2013 I can just replace it now.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:30 AM
09blacklnf

So what is the best replacement battery out there? even though it's a 2013 I can just replace it now.
Just get a nice warranty on a battery from the autopart store.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

it's possible; you might run a lead-acid battery flat once or twice, but repeated heavy sulfation of the plates can damage them. Put it on a charger for a while, then see if a local auto parts store will load test it. That'll tell you if it's still good.

Quick Reply: Starting the year wrong