Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tune and intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 05:15 PM
berzerk_1980

Originally Posted by P51C
My experience with procal was extraordinary. On my 2012 MT82 3.73 Brembo brake car, carrying a full load of options, that tune only, with a slick tire, did 11.9 at 115 in the quarter, through the factory airbox and exhaust.

You can defintely feel the difference. that tune turned that car into an animal, on and off the track. That plus unmatched warranty support ( I bought the car new) sealed it for me. No complaints.

My current ride is a 2014 auto car similarly loaded. I have a VMP tune on that bc I wanted the datalogging and features of the x4. It is also very aggressive, even on 91.
Agreed. I'm using the track key which contains the ProCal tune and can definitely feel the difference.

Also I dynoed with and without the key on the same day. There's about 15 lb-ft more torque starting at about 2200 rpm with varying increases through to the peak around 4300 rpm. The max torque difference is somewhere close to 20 lb-ft and the max hp difference is somewhere around 25 hp.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Well that makes is harder to decide. On one hand I don't want to spend a lot on mods since I have a history of not keeping cars very long and know they do almost nothing for the resale value so maybe the procal would be better. But then again, there isn't that much difference in price if I was to get a CAI and tune and could always sell the intake and keep the tuner if I decide to get a different car in a year or two. Although I know it would be smart to keep it until it is at least close to paid off and this is the happiest I've been with a car after a couple years.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Well that makes is harder to decide. On one hand I don't want to spend a lot on mods since I have a history of not keeping cars very long and know they do almost nothing for the resale value so maybe the procal would be better. But then again, there isn't that much difference in price if I was to get a CAI and tune and could always sell the intake and keep the tuner if I decide to get a different car in a year or two. Although I know it would be smart to keep it until it is at least close to paid off and this is the happiest I've been with a car after a couple years.
Well generally the tuner would only work on another Ford so you'd be restricted to that if you kept it.

It's a few hundred bucks. skip the intake. The tune alone will maximise your enjoyment.

Unless warranty is a real issue go sct with a reputable vendor like Vmp, lund or steeda.

Last edited by P51C; 03-06-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'll most likely stick with Ford. Either another Mustang or possibly something like a Focus RS depending on how the next couple winters go (hope they stay like this year as I get along fine with snow tires on the stang as long as we don't get a blizzard). I kind of wish I would have gotten a few options rather than a base though, but its not too bad. I just saw that the next gen stang is supposed to come in 2020 which will be perfect as far as this car being paid off about then. Maybe I can finally afford to get a premium model then or at least so good upgrades/mods.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Happy to help you with a Steeda tune ... we have some of the best tuners in the business, including James:

James G.
Lead Tuner and Calibrator

James has over 15 years of experience professionally tuning Fords - mainly the Mustang, Focus, Fusion and F-series. He was previously employed by SCT and trained many of their top tuners! James takes pride in providing quality, conservative tunes that you will feel confident in loading onto your daily driver. Reliability while providing tremendous gains are at the core of our tuning values.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 PM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Happy to help you with a Steeda tune ... we have some of the best tuners in the business, including James:
Well, I will find out is this is true or not when my 555-3936 (CAI & X4) shows up in a few days!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:24 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Well, I will find out is this is true or not when my 555-3936 (CAI & X4) shows up in a few days!
Standing by - will be a great week to try it out with the weather coming your way!

What part of the mitten are you in? We have a lot of Steeda presence in the MI area, especially Downriver!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 05-19-2016, 07:21 AM
roadpilot

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Standing by - will be a great week to try it out with the weather coming your way!
We've got our grandson for the weekend, so I'm not so sure how much free time I'll have ...

What part of the mitten are you in? We have a lot of Steeda presence in the MI area, especially Downriver!
About half way between Detroit and Lansing (Brighton/Howell area). I did spend much of my youth downriver, though.

I'm realistic and certainly not expecting increases of 44hp or 52lb/ft, and I accept that the tune is providing the majority of any increases, but I'd like to hope there will be a noticeable improvement with the 93 tune (that's all I run in this vehicle).

Last edited by roadpilot; 05-19-2016 at 07:24 AM.