Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT 2007 Straight Piped Anything Louder??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Rmtmusic

Unhappy Mustang GT 2007 Straight Piped Anything Louder??

Hey, so i have a 2007 mustang gt. Currently i have stock everything except i got a muffler delete. (Straight piped) (still have cats)

i want a louder set up. ( Doesn't really sound loud to me, in the higher Rpms it sounds really quite) In my understanding Straight pipe will always be louder than any exhaust? So if i would just get some slp loudmouths for example it would just have a deeper tone , but not louder correct? thats my first question.

A guy recommended me i get an X pipe with Cats ( i live in Cali) Is there some type of easy replaceable cats or idea to get them installed again when smog is due? any ideas?

Last question is it really louder to take of cats? ( i want to know if its worth it) or will the X pipe get me the louder raspier tone i want.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

We offer a complete 3" exhaust system with an off road X-pipe for your 2007 GT. We would be happy to offer you a deep discount on our exhaust system since you are a forum member. Please PM us for a price.

http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...tems-14-0.html
Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Rmtmusic

seems a bit tooo pricey for me, considering its basically just a straight pipe with an X pipe correct?
Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

Sigh.

http://www.vroombox.com/
Old 04-18-2016, 06:04 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Exhaust cutouts will be louder also. I'd be careful about getting too loud, you don't want to attract the boys in blue.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:56 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you want loud? here it is. but seriously on a street car if straight pipe isnt loud enough, you may have a hearing problem.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:42 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rmtmusic
Hey, so i have a 2007 mustang gt. Currently i have stock everything except i got a muffler delete. (Straight piped) (still have cats)

i want a louder set up. ( Doesn't really sound loud to me, in the higher Rpms it sounds really quite) In my understanding Straight pipe will always be louder than any exhaust? So if i would just get some slp loudmouths for example it would just have a deeper tone , but not louder correct? thats my first question.

A guy recommended me i get an X pipe with Cats ( i live in Cali) Is there some type of easy replaceable cats or idea to get them installed again when smog is due? any ideas?

Last question is it really louder to take of cats? ( i want to know if its worth it) or will the X pipe get me the louder raspier tone i want.
If you're going from a stock catted H-pipe to an X-pipe, it won't be that much louder. I barely noticed a difference when I switched to an X-pipe. I ran with an off-road prochamber for 6 yrs until I had to smog the car. It was loud and I got a lot of thumbs up. Cops never bothered me but then again I would let off the throttle when I drove by them. I now have stock cats, Pypes X-pipe and Borla S-types. It's not loud enough for me since putting cats back on so I plan to cut the "off-road" downpipe from my prochamber to install high flow cats I recently purchased and mating that to my X-pipe. This should increase the volume and prevent the stinky exhaust smell from going full off-road again. I plan to swap it back out for my stock cats come smog time.

Originally Posted by Granatelli Sales
We offer a complete 3" exhaust system with an off road X-pipe for your 2007 GT. We would be happy to offer you a deep discount on our exhaust system since you are a forum member. Please PM us for a price.

http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...tems-14-0.html
A 3" system? Pretty cool. I would love to switch to a 3" system since I'm blown but I can't see myself switching out everything from the downpipe to the mufflers when it comes time to smog since the stock system has 2.5" pipes. Removing the over-axle pipes in itself is a pain in the butt. Now if only the downpipe portion of the Granetelli system is 2.5", before it increases to 3", then I would be able to swap it out for my 2.5" stock catted downpipe section. That would be ideal. One can only wish.

EDIT: On second thought, looking at the Granatelli off-road downpipe, the end where it angles into the X portion doesn't match my stock catted downpipe so it won't work anyway. Oh well.

Originally Posted by danzcool
Exhaust cutouts will be louder also. I'd be careful about getting too loud, you don't want to attract the boys in blue.
I have some QTP cutouts but I can't decide where to install them. Space is limited on our cars. Mine are the standard ones and not the low profile oval ones they have.

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 04-19-2016 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:05 PM
elDuderino

seems a bit tooo pricey for me, considering its basically just a straight pipe with an X pipe correct?
Looks like Granatelli was offering a special discounted price if you PM them or call them. Might want to see what they are offering before you decide it is too expensive.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

Please PM us or call us for your discounted price, it is too low to post on the forum!
Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

FWIW there's a big sound difference between stock cats and high flow cats. If I remember later I will link to the videos of my car with stock cats and MBRP axle back, and Magnaflow catted X pipe with the same axle back. Big difference in volume.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT 2007 Straight Piped Anything Louder??