Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much does a "TUNE" cost for a 2014 5.0??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:59 PM
doubleoh

Default How much does a "TUNE" cost for a 2014 5.0??

Does cost depend on level of modifications?
Old 06-12-2016, 03:37 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Not unless you are FI or big nitrous and you need a custom tune.

Most basic bolt on cars you have to buy the tuner of your choice from a reputable vendor and the tunes are included in the cost of that. Around $400.

From then on, buying other tunes varies depending on the application. I have 5, including stock. I have 87, 91 and 94 NA tunes and a 100 shot nitrous tune. The nitrous tune was part of a package buy of the nitrous kit. The others came with my SCT X4 I bought from VMP.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:46 PM
doubleoh

So, if I were to make some mods.......for example, CAI kit, long tube headers, and exhaust cams only, if I go to a tuner (I don't own an SCT tuner), he would be able to reprogram for those changes only? How much would that cost?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

yes and no extra,included in the tune is what you want with the mods you have
Old 06-13-2016, 03:03 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

You would need to buy a tuner device to start with. A tuner person still needs the device to write the tune to your car. Tuner devices are paired to a car and are only unpaired when the car is returned to the original/stock tune.
A dyno tune (like you would get from a tuner person) runs a lot more expensive than an email order tune like you would get from American muscle. You're looking at somewhere around $300 for a basic dyno tune, and whether or not the guy who dyno tuned you will give you free updates or a break on further dyno tunes when adding other bolt-ons is not standard across the board. The email-order tuning houses will often write you free updates if the bolt-ons are purchased through them.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:08 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Let's just get our definitions straight first:

Tuner is a person who writes the tune for your car.

Tuner box is the device that allows the tune to be loaded onto your car's engine management computer.

The tuner box you buy from a company that specializes in tuning these cars, like VMP or Lund.

The tuner you tell what mods you have when you buy the box and they write you tunes for your specific car. The tuner box and tunes are locked to your car specifically.

If you make more changes down the road, go back to the tuner and get a tune revision for the mod. If you bought the tuner box from them in the first place, then these revisions are usually free.

Now, loading tunes and datalogging, etc. is a fiddly process with the capacity to brick your car's computer and leave you stranded. You amy wish to read up a little more before undertaking this or find someone experienced locally to help you.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:48 PM
doubleoh

Thanks for clarifying terms. I'm a long time bracket racer..... Holley carbs, locked out distributor, etc., so the Coyote world is totally new to me. My goal is to run 7.50's at 98-100 mph with a 2011-2014 GT.
So, I think I understand now. I buy a tuner box (VMP, Lund or others?). Then I can get a "tune" from a local tuner or get the tune from out of state... like American Muscle or Brenspeed.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:19 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Catch on here...buy the box from the people you want the tune from. Then you get revisions for free. If you like Lund tunes, buy the box from Lund and you get their tunes with it. Like VMP? then buy the box from them and get their tunes with it. It's that easy.

That's a **** load of mph for a mere 7.50 run. I did that at 90 mph at the 1/8th and it was good enough fro high 11s, full weight, loaded 2012 Brembo brake car. Hoosier 10" slick out back.

Last edited by P51C; 06-13-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:43 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

P.M. Sent.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 06-14-2016, 05:31 PM
doubleoh

Yes, P51C, that is a crap load of mph for that ET. But I think that with a very soft launch, it is possible.
Regarding the TUNE stuff...... Are all "tuners" that write "tunes" equal? Will Brenspeeds "program" numbers turn out to work just as good as the "program" numbers from American Muscle, say? I can't afford to try each one AND my local guy to see which is best.

Quick Reply: How much does a "TUNE" cost for a 2014 5.0??