Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

1967 Coyote Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:53 PM
transporter1414
1st Gear Member

I have been also fighting a drone issue. I have a 05 mustang GT with roush body kit with the square exhaust tips. I'm running headers with off-road H pipe and Roush off road mufflers. I like the sound but the drone kills me. So I read some post and tried these http://www.carchemistry.com/cc-inserts/. I put them inside the mufflers just behind the exhaust tips. My drone is almost totally gone. Not sure if they will help you, but they did me.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:50 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

it's not the location of the mufflers I had an axle back kit and kit those mufflers to use mid mounted on my 3v same everything only thing that changed was muffler location. And they droned just as bad in both locations. The reason most people don't delete cats on the 3v os because of the drone. A chamber muffler will always drone. I have a midmounted flowmaster 40 Now and will be going to Borla stingers. Any resonator or cat like device will silence it down. It's a very different beast than the pushrods. Hopefully Borla will get you sorted out. Best modular I heard was a mid mounted Norma stinger setup.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM
david borla

You can tune the drone out of anything if you know what the specific frequencies, harmonics and overtones are that are causing the drone and use mufflers designed to cancel those specific frequencies, harmonics and overtones. The problem is, the frequencies, harmonics and overtones that cause drone differ from one engine to another. This is the whole key. It's not possible to make one muffler design that tunes the drone out of every motor. Our Cratemufflers are specific to individual motors for this very reason.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 PM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Borla what would you recommend for a 2009 mustang GT? I'm midmounting them. I'm thinking the Stingers or ATAK but I know those only come in the kit. Any suggestions?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtleavitt
4. If I do go 2.5" exhaust and adapt to the 2.75 GT500 mufflers, will I cause a power restriction compared to my current 3" exhaust? (I don't plan on any power adders as I'm content with the 450hp I now have, plus I have no cats).
I think that in general, an X-pipe loses less to downstream restrictions than either an H-pipe or no crossover connection at all. It's better at balancing the mass flows in the two pipes than the pair of 90° bends that H-pipe crossover flows have to make. So you'd definitely want to keep that if you end up going a little smaller with the downstream piping or if the mufflers end up being slightly more restrictive.

Norm
Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM
david borla

Originally Posted by 09GT/CS
Borla what would you recommend for a 2009 mustang GT? I'm midmounting them. I'm thinking the Stingers or ATAK but I know those only come in the kit. Any suggestions?
Please send me an email at davidb@borla.com. Thanks
Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 AM
mrtleavitt

Well, figured I should give an update. After paying a small fortune for the Borla Crate Muffler Touring package, which included mufflers and resonators, the interior drone is much better. There is still a small drone from about 77 mph-85mph but it is way better than before. There is no drone during acceleration which is great because that was one of the things that was driving my family crazy while just cruising around town. I ended up cutting all of the beautiful 3" exhaust out and had my exhaust guy go with 2.5" since that was the biggest size the crate mufflers came in for the coyote (kind of a bummer that I had to pay for another exhaust to be made). So the whole system starts with the stock coyote hedders, x-pipe, borla touring resonators, borla s-type mufflers, into 3.5" tail pipes that exit through the rear valance. The car is still plenty loud when you're on the throttle which is good because that's how a muscle car should be. I do wish I could turn the highway volume & drone down a bit more but after 3 different exhausts and over $1,500 thrown at my exhaust this setup is going to be just fine.
(I'm still working on getting a refund for the Borla Pro XS mufflers and installation cost. After multiple emails and phone calls in the last 2 weeks I'm being told I should see it tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.)

To make a long story short I would recommend the Borla Crate Mufflers. Just be ready to pay 3 times more for them compared to other mufflers.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

All this and no picture of the engine bay?!?!?!?!

Even my setup drones at certain rpm/throttle positions, but not while cruising. Long tubes with a catted x, resonator deletes (zero effect on drone) and gt50 a/b.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:23 AM
mrtleavitt

Just realized I don't have many pictures of the car completed. Here's a few. Check out the video at the bottom. Enjoy!

Engine cover won't fit with the stock hood so it only gets put on for car shows. I just got a 2016 engine cover for it that I'm modifying to fit with the hood.

No door glass in this picture.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:32 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Nice! Still don't know what I'm doing for my restoration engine wise. Or when I'll get around to it. What transmission did you go with?

Quick Reply: 1967 Coyote Exhaust