MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Dash Cam Suggestions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/727849-dash-cam-suggestions.html)

Nomad8888 10-12-2016 03:38 PM

Dash Cam Suggestions

So, I did a search and couldn't find much of anything pertaining to dash cams. I've been seriously thinking about this since road rage and insurance scams seem to be more and more common these days. If you run a dash cam, what kind is it and are you happy with it. There are a lot of options out there, but I wanted to see what consumers such as you think instead of relying on product reviews from web sites. Thanks in advance and drive safe!

Urambo Tauro 10-12-2016 04:13 PM

After using a Pilot CL-3002WK for a few months, I upgraded to a cheap Chinese unit labelled as "HDE-C18" (but I've seen what appears to be the same exact product sold under other names like "i1000"), and that's what I'm running now. It's really not that big of an upgrade over the Pilot, but it does have dual-channel recording so that I can catch things going on behind me as well. That was my main motivator for getting it.

The picture quality isn't that great (check YouTube for examples). It can read license plates if the other car is close by, but after a car-length or two I start to lose those details. It's much worse at night, when things get really grainy. It will manage to pick up license plates if I'm stopped at a red light, where my headlamps can light the plate up. Maybe some day I'll upgrade to something with better picture, but I'm afraid that's going to be somewhere in the triple digits to get all the features I want.

But aside from the image quality, it's actually very good for the price. The picture is still technically "HD", and it has all the common dash-cam features like loop recording, motion detection, still image capture, etc. and having that second channel is a huge plus that most dash-cams don't offer. I also like that it's low-profile and I can tuck it behind my rear-view mirror instead of having to mount some chunky GoPro unit.

jz78817 10-13-2016 05:20 AM

I have a Rexing V1, which tucks up by my rear view mirror. The image quality is ok, though I have the resolution turned down. Here's an example:

Scott2 10-13-2016 06:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went with the BalckVue 2 Channel dash camera model number DR650GW-2CH. I found lots of information on the web and You Tube on this cam.

Front camera:

Attachment 45700

Rear camera:

Attachment 45701

Install was pretty easy. I used a Power Magic Pro, hooked up a ground wire, constant power and key on source and then the cameras were plug and play. I stuck the Power Magic Pro to the right of the steering wheel at the bottom of the dash for easy access to the switch.

Nomad8888 10-13-2016 04:06 PM

Wow! I thought I was all clever for thinking about this. Lots of great suggestions! Thanks!

flash_xx 10-13-2016 08:30 PM

I have a mini 0806 hardwired to the car so I never have to remember turning on or off and no wires to be seen anywhere. Not the most reliable at the beginning but tiny and good image quality. Just stay away from Sandisk. Once I switched brands I haven't had any problems. I'm using PNY now, but Lexar, Samsung or basically anything except Sandisk works well.