Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Systemic Issues with 05-?? Mustangs ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 PM
427Impala
1st Gear Member

Default Systemic Issues with 05-?? Mustangs ??

Newbie here. A fellow owner (05 GT) told me of 2 things.

1 The 'feature' where the battery will go dead if let the car sits to long, related to Shaker radio??

2 lower ball joints having short life.

Thoughts?? Other systemic issues??

Thnx

Joey in VA 06 GT conv

BTW, what is the range of related Mustangs, 05-09?? 14??
Old 02-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Any car that sits too long will lose its battery. Butt there has been an issue in our cars that seems to be related to the battery.

And lower ball joints...really? Non issue.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:40 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

People blame the shaker for the battery, but mine came with the non shaker radio and still did it, turned out to be a weak alternator. Bought a 200 amp one and nver had another dead battery in 8 years.

The ball joints are fine. I replaced my lower control arms for the GT500 after 50,000 miles because the rear bushings were broken and the ball joints were just fine.

The 05 to 06 have an issue with water leaking into the passenger side and damaging the SJB on the kickpanel.

Front seats levers at the back to move seat back forward break

From 05 to early 08 the sparkplugs can break off when taking them out.

Airbag recall

creaks, groans, rattles all ove the place.

Still wouldn't drive anything else. These are small annoyances on an otherwise bulletproof car.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

mostly small stuff as mentioned above. the 07+ fixed alot of the small things.

I cant think of anything major other than the plugs really. A couple TSBs but the dealer would address those like with the airbag.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

My 06 v6 got the dying batt., but it's from the cheap CD player. it keeps trying to load cd's, even when the engine is off.
I pull my radio fuse when i park it for a while.
No problems since.
(i was going to get the new Raxiom radio, but Raxiom is cheap, & there are nothing but issues with them.
I haven't had any problems with the radio itself;
i had my ball joints replaced last summer, they are rather weak, i heard.
but our winter ice & snow & potholes don't help!
(& the other posters are right: airbag recall (both drivers & passengers (the newer Stangs only have the drivers side recalled...)
You can get water if the 2 drains under the hood get clogged, but thats easy maintenance...

Last edited by Gravydog316; 02-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

basically they covered it all. If you park your car in the garage you shouldn't have to worry about SJB getting damaged. Several write ups on the spark plug removal. If you do break one there is a tool to get them out. The plugs are a two piece which is the dumbest thing i have seen. Generally speaking the cars are solid if there is good maintenance being done. Oil catch can will help as well but its not anything you must do. Tranny catch can is a good addition.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Oh & i had my belt replaced
Old 02-24-2017, 07:33 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

All modern computer driven cars will lose their battery over time if left sitting for extended periods. There is always a small draw to maintain memory. I remember back when BMW 7 series would go dead sitting at the airport for more than 10 days while the owner was on vacation.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Am I the only one that noticed his name and am curious? 427impala huh? Year? Pics?

All of the above mentioned items pretty much covers the common issues. Most are easily resolved and/or avoided.

I have not experienced any issues with my lower ball joints, however I only have 20k on my car.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:58 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I owned a 2005 GT and now still have my 2008 Shelby GT and both have the stupid gas tank issue that hasn't been mentioned.

It's a long story, but basically you could have problems trying to fill your tank with gas. The backpressure will keep shutting the pump off, and you could end up having to squeeze the pump's level about 100 times just to fill up your tank.

It got so bad on my 2005 that I traded in the car. One of those issues that make a car a non-driver. You can't very well put much gas in when all the nozzles are these modern ones that need the thing fully inserted to flow gas.

It has only happened one or two times with my 2008, but this is an issue that most sellers won't let you know about.