Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:16 PM
gizahuna

Default radio replacement

Hi

My son has just purchased a 05 GT. I wanted to replace the radio for him so he can have a radio with Bluetooth phone capabilities, Satellite radio, and a backup camera. I looked at American Muscle Raxom radio, but the reviews/forums said it wasn't worth the money. With the apps out there for an iPhone, he really doesn't need a nav system anymore. Does anyone out there have a good recommendation?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2017, 09:37 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I have two of these, they both work great: https://www.carjoying.com/

I'm never going back to a normal radio, nothing beats android for a head unit
Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

The stock CD players are VERY poor & don't last long; my battery kept dying because the player keeps trying to load cd's, even when the engine is off. Just fyi.
I DEFINITELY DO NOT recommend ANYTHING from Raxiom, or their owners American Muscle...
(I have been getting the run-around since last summer)
& I was also thinking about getting their new radio, until I read the reviews.
Everyone says either Pioneer or Kenwood are the better choices.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:21 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I purchased a JVC from Crutchfield.com about two years ago. Been happy, had instructions with it, also used utube video, they also have a "tech guy" you can call, which I did. Sounds like you want more bells and whistles than I was worried about. Recommend you give them a look-see. FWIW
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Just noticed you were thinking of a backup camera also. I've seen commercials of one that goes on/in the license plate frame. It looks like it broadcasts to your cell phone. Maybe it could do the same to your radio. Don't have a clue. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:11 AM
paul_g
1st Gear Member

Interesting for those that had issues with the Raxiom. I put one in my 05 GT last summer and have had no issues. I had it professionally installed, we opted not to go with the backup camera that came with the unit, instead went with a Alpine Plate-mounted camera.

The sound quality is fantastic, nav is good - you can get updates from Navi-Extra ($$$) but mainly I got it for the blue tooth and phone.

The only thing that must go is the stock speakers... But then again, with a rag-top and BORLA Cat-Back A.T.A.K. Exhaust.... who needs a radio!