Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Please Help! Automatic to Manual Swap

Old 04-30-2017, 04:01 PM
JuicyBounce62

Default Please Help! Automatic to Manual Swap

Hello fellow Mustang enthusiasts!

A number of months ago, I came across an unbeatable price for a 13 Mustang GT. It had all the bells and whistles and was exactly what I was looking for. However, it had one drawback -- it was automatic. Though I wanted a manual, I couldn't pass up that pricetag.
Anyway, I am seeking the help of someone who has either knowledge or experience concerning the process of swapping the current stock auto transmission with the appropriate manual transmission to fit my 13 Mustang GT. I admit, I am not very knowledgeable about the details of the transmissions, so I would much appreciate any feedback regarding my situation, also information about what specific manual transmission setup I should seek out.

Thanks so much,

John
Old 05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

the reason you haven't had any replies is because its a PITA to do properly. the easiest is to trade in your car for a 6 speed you want. if you got a great deal on the auto, you should be able to trade into a manual for equal what your payments are, especially if you can negotiate. if you start looking at the parts list you will need, it adds up rather quickly, plus youll need to have your ecu reprogrammed, altho once Ford started putting the 5.0 coyotes in, the ecus are completely different, so a reprogram will be needed. someone should chime in, but IMHO, trade yours in. welcome and good luck
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Blackbox19

Cost wise its not a good investment to try and swap a newer cars trans out.

Like ^^^ said, smart money is to trade or sell what you got and move on to something that you want.

Cause the money you spending to do this could be put toward the new car and that car will come designed and made from factory with a manual...
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM
Tivo304

Here's a guy who did it through a shop. Enjoy the laundry list: http://www.fastfordmuscle.com/index....ect-completed/
Old 06-24-2017, 12:59 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Plus you are switching probably the best automatic Ford has ever made for the somewhat frangible MT-82, which doesn't have the most sterling rep for durability.

I did get my '12 3.73 BBP car down to 11.91 at 115 at the track but that took 2 seasons of working at it.

After I wrecked my 12 BBP I got a 14 auto and never looked back. On the road, the stick car has no chance against it. I found the stock torque converter too tight for the track but 100 of nitrous fixed that and it went 11.4 at 120+ through the stock airbox and exhaust, first day out.

Both of these cars are full weight GTs with everything.

Search this Thread