Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 GT brake pad/rotor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM
FireMrshlBill

Default 2007 GT brake pad/rotor suggestions

Hey all, I was a member on here under a different profile years ago (probably haven't logged on since 2012). Well I no longer have my previous email and forgot my password, so new account.

Anyways, my 2007 is at 67k and my factory original front brakes are only 1/32" over state inspection minimum. My rear pads were changed 50k miles ago or so only because I had the emergency brake cable freezing issue and they glazed over.

I am looking to replace my pads and rotors now. There are a ton of threads on this but everyone seems to be looking for different things.

Obviously by my low mileage I do not drive often (once a week on average). I don't dog my car or anything either.

So I am looking for pads that have great stopping power, no squeal, and I could care less these days about dust as I do not baby my rims anymore. I don't track it and doubt I will make it to the drag strip anytime soon. I have moved out further in the suburbs and do travel on winding back roads through the woods with blind corners, so stopping power is priority. However, I don't want/need anything that takes warm up time. Also, I don't have a place to do 5 repeated 60-0 stops for crazy "wear in" procedures, so rather have something ready to go upon install.

Should I just stick with OEM from Ford? Are there other brands at auto zone that have better stopping power like Duralast gold or whatever? How do Hawk HPS or ceramics compare in stopping power? Also, do they squeal as bad as people report? I have a bunch of Amazon gift cards, so if there is something that can be purchased there, that would be great. Otherwise anything from AmericanMuscle, Brenspeed, Autozone/Advanced/Napa/Ford.

As far as rotors, slotted/dimpled sounds best to me, but most seem to be drilled/slotted. Do drilled rotors still have those cracking issues or have they figured that out? Something nice looking that doesn't rust easy and good heat displacement/cooling.

Looking to spend under $400 for everything. So what would everyone's suggestions be on rotor+pad combo for a 1-2/week "daily driver" that just likes to zip around back roads and some hills/mountains periodically. Hate squeal, don't care about dust and wants to stop well so my kids get to keep their dad around as long as possible.

I guess I should replace my lines and fluid as well since that is all original (though I may have replaced the fluid at 30k miles since I let Ford do that maintenance back when I lived in an apartment). Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
FireMrshlBill

Also, this is probably the last time I will need to change these. Maybe once more at the rate I drive (with kids, this only gets driven when I go somewhere alone, and I work from home, so that isn't that often).

So, for performance/safety, if Powerslot rotors are worth it, I am fine dropping the extra money on those. An added $250 for the next 8-10 years is a worthwhile investment for safety. But if it really isn't worth it over other brands, then I won't bother.

Powerslot + HPS pads? Or maybe those Duralast GT that Autozone just released and are now the "Official Nascar" brake pads or whatever.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:04 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Just get Centric rotors and some decent pads. I use EBC, but others prefer Akebono or the HPS. Any of the three will work fine. If going for the EBC's, the Greenstuff are their street compound.

If your budget is around 400 dollars you could do this: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...afford-it.html
Old 05-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Just get Centric rotors and some decent pads. I use EBC, but others prefer Akebono or the HPS. Any of the three will work fine. If going for the EBC's, the Greenstuff are their street compound.

If your budget is around 400 dollars you could do this: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...afford-it.html
I've heard a lot of good things about Centric the last couple of years. They are a good quality, good cost alternative to OEM and some of the previous aftermarket mid to high tier brands.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't get the older 'regular' HPS pads, but the newer HPS 5.0 pads may be worth investigating.

I'd suggest Carbotech AX6 or G-loc R6 pads as being more in line with your braking needs, but I don't know if they make any noise (or if they do, how noticeable it might be). What I do know about Carbotech's pads is that they're gentle on rotors, where a pad like Hawk's HP+ will eat your rotors alive in street driving. G-locs are essentially the same composition (same people involved).

Norm
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FireMrshlBill
However, I don't want/need anything that takes warm up time. Also, I don't have a place to do 5 repeated 60-0 stops for crazy "wear in" procedures, so rather have something ready to go upon install.
All pads should be bedded in at least a little. You don't have to be doing 60 - 0 for this, 55 down to 25 a few times (moderately) followed by 55 - 20 a good bit harder, with several minutes of driving that avoids using the brakes for gradual cooldown should be plenty for most any performance street/autocross pad. Your pad mfr may provide more specific guidance, but that's the general gist of it.

Norm
Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
I've heard a lot of good things about Centric the last couple of years. They are a good quality, good cost alternative to OEM and some of the previous aftermarket mid to high tier brands.
Stop Tech is Centric's Racing Brand so that says something about them. Never had a problem with their rotors warping or cracking and they are so inexpensive you can afford to beat the crap out of them and just get a new set when they wear out. No need to resurface.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I second Flash. I have been using Centric rotors with great results. I don't thinks slotted rotors are anything but bling. Drilled rotors are known to crack.
As for pads, I have been using Akebono and they are the best I have ever found.
Good luck.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Slotted rotors tend to not get scored as readily, which has appearance value on the street and there's at least potentially more uniform bite on the track. Flip side is that pads may not last as many miles or as many track day events.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-11-2017 at 04:06 PM.