Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Throttle Body Cleaning - do I win?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Danno77

Default Throttle Body Cleaning - do I win?

Just got a new (to me) 2007 GT. It's convertible and its automatic, I never thought I'd be saying those two things. Was looking for a completely different kinda mustang, but I regret nothing, it's a blast to drive. Maybe even more so than my 1988 GT (God rest its soul)...

Anyway, crappy throttle response since I got it, but I was sure I'd be able to fix it. Lots of Google, lots of looking at the pedal, doing a reset, pedal relearn, more Google, learning that Mustangs apparently deserve eleventy-billion different forums (my past vehicles have only had a couple of forums each), and then stumbling upon a thread suggesting that a good TB cleaning can do wonders.

And here we are, I dove in when I saw a thread about how easy it was, cleaned that sucker up, and suddenly the car is running beautifully and I'm realizing how crappy the first 3 weeks have been!

97K miles (ish) and I wonder if that's ever been done!

Look at how much I got off of it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body Cleaning - do I win?-image.jpeg  
Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Danno77
Just got a new (to me) 2007 GT. It's convertible and its automatic, I never thought I'd be saying those two things. Was looking for a completely different kinda mustang, but I regret nothing, it's a blast to drive. Maybe even more so than my 1988 GT (God rest its soul)...

Anyway, crappy throttle response since I got it, but I was sure I'd be able to fix it. Lots of Google, lots of looking at the pedal, doing a reset, pedal relearn, more Google, learning that Mustangs apparently deserve eleventy-billion different forums (my past vehicles have only had a couple of forums each), and then stumbling upon a thread suggesting that a good TB cleaning can do wonders.

And here we are, I dove in when I saw a thread about how easy it was, cleaned that sucker up, and suddenly the car is running beautifully and I'm realizing how crappy the first 3 weeks have been!

97K miles (ish) and I wonder if that's ever been done!

Look at how much I got off of it!!!!
Good trouble shooting. I would augment this with a new fuel filter and a real-deal fuel injector power flush.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Clean the MAF sensor as well, use only MAF sensor cleaner.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Clean the MAF sensor as well, use only MAF sensor cleaner.
Excellent follow-up.