Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Strange Overheating (new rad/fan)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Tivo304

Default Strange Overheating (new rad/fan)

Hi folks, dealing with something strange here:

My '06 GT temp gauge started to go from the usual "half way" mark and began creeping up 3/4 towards red. Mind you, it's not getting in the red, but these are aluminum heads and I don't want to risk anything.

Plugged in my ScanGauge and got cylinder head temp readings over the course of driving and forcing the temp gauge to rise: Heads are reporting as going up to 240 degrees in frequent stop-and-go with temperatures in the mid 80's to 90's. This shouldn't be happening. Replaced my thermostat with an OEM 195 degree and new coolant. Kept doing it. Made sure all the air was burped out. Kept doing it. Replaced radiator and fan assembly with a Mishimoto and SVT Cobra fan. Keeps doing it.

Car has ~106k on it. Had new lash adjusters and rockers put in, so I don't think it has anything to do with timing, mechanic didn't mention anything that looked out of place with the valve covers and cams out. I do get some feelings of what seems like a misfire or a "pop", or struggle when accelerating at low RPMs -- almost like a cylinder's missing a cycle, or like what a rough idle with a backfire pop feels like.

Two questions:

1. Could it be the CHT sensor? It's not spiking or jumping, it definitely moves up gradually as the heads hit 240 degrees on the dot, and goes back down to normal the second they cool below 240.

2. Could it be a bad coil-on plug, injector, or fuel filter? All are original, to my knowledge (put in new OEM spark plugs). Could it be running lean and causing overheating? It almost seems like the temps rise a bit more when I'm at lower RPMs.

I can pop the radiator cap and even keep my hand on the overflow tank, which leads me to believe the radiator and fan are doing their job keeping the water cool. Water pump doesn't seem to be leaking either.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Tivo304

73 views and not a single reply? C'mon guys, little help here. I'll keep posting what I find/fix in case anyone else ever deals with this:

Update: I tested out exactly when my GT begins to get a little too hot for comfort: It happens during constant stop-and-go, when I have to feather the gas and clutch to keep crawling. I noticed it also tends to get hotter, quicker, when I notice stutters/misfires/hesitations while accelerating.

Funny part is, with my scanner plugged in and monitoring the fuel system loop status (open/close), I decided to try something completely counter-intuitive, I floored it and did a hard start from 0 to 60. I forced the fuel system into OPEN loop (rich mixture) and lo and behold, after decelerating, temps dropped quickly. Getting home and letting it idle with the A/C on (so electric fan is going on hi constantly), and letting it "chill" at idle, temps subsided to a relative low. Coolant itself is still not hot enough that I don't burn myself touching the reservoir, even (good job Mishimoto/SVT).

This means 1.) my coolant system (radiator, fan, thermostat, pump) is functioning perfectly, because it would overheat at idle otherwise, and 2.) I have to be running lean. With consistent accelerating runs and higher RPMs it seems as though temps are less likely to creep than if I'm slowly accelerating, starting and stopping. A.K.A injectors/fuel pump are pushing less, with too much air.

Side note: My ambient air temps (from the MAF) are displaying crazy hot. Like, 120+ degrees while cruising on the highway when it's 85 degrees outside, and almost 150 at idle. How is that possible? Could a bad MAF be causing problems?

Now if anyone wants to contribute... I'll take suggestions on where I should start looking at faults. Ordered an OEM fuel pump through work (I work at a particular Mustang company). If that doesn't help then my next step will be injectors. After that, maybe a bad coil plug is throwing out some interference with the CHT sensor? Beyond this, I'm out of ideas.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It sounds to me more like an intermittent fan issue. But I really don't have any idea. Usually things like water pumps, fans and other support pieces either work 100% or not at all. Its a weird issue...
Old 06-23-2017, 01:11 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

It does seem that the engine's running lean in closed loop. Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Did you pull any fault codes? Perhaps O2 sensor wiring shorting out somewhere?
Your ambient temperature readings seem typical of a "cold air intake" that's without a heat shield.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 AM
Tivo304

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
It does seem that the engine's running lean in closed loop. Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Did you pull any fault codes? Perhaps O2 sensor wiring shorting out somewhere?
Your ambient temperature readings seem typical of a "cold air intake" that's without a heat shield.
Thanks Dino, I think so too. Yes, (meant to say I ordered a fuel FILTER, not fuel PUMP, long day at work). I'm putting it on this Sunday and I hope this is a fix. As for my intake, it's still OEM w/ the air box, so I might clean the MAF too. Any suggestions on how to clean it without ruining it?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:01 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

There is a special spray to be had at auto part stores to clean the MAF. Easy enough to remove from the intake, spray, and reinstall. Quick drying.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How's your coolant look? When was the last time it was replaced?
Old 06-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Tivo304

THanks, algregory.

Derf00, I replaced my radiator and coolant just a few days ago. I've been messing around with the fuel system loop status while monitoring temps and I've verified it runs lean in closed loop (immediately begins cooling down in open loop on decel/after hard accel). I'll be replacing the fuel filter today and if that fails, I'll try to clean up or replace my injectors.

V/r
Travis
Old 06-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Tivo304
THanks, algregory.

Derf00, I replaced my radiator and coolant just a few days ago. I've been messing around with the fuel system loop status while monitoring temps and I've verified it runs lean in closed loop (immediately begins cooling down in open loop on decel/after hard accel). I'll be replacing the fuel filter today and if that fails, I'll try to clean up or replace my injectors.

V/r
Travis
Hmm, I'm still looking at the cooling system. What about the reservoir cap? Have you pressure tested it and/or your cooling system. The reservoir cap has a designated pressure it's supposed to hold just like the old school caps on the radiators. If that fails or isn't holding the right pressure (too low) the system could overheat.

Unless you're running a lean A/F mixture, I wouldn't see a need to mess with your fuel system.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Tivo304

Originally Posted by Derf00
Hmm, I'm still looking at the cooling system. What about the reservoir cap? Have you pressure tested it and/or your cooling system. The reservoir cap has a designated pressure it's supposed to hold just like the old school caps on the radiators. If that fails or isn't holding the right pressure (too low) the system could overheat.

Unless you're running a lean A/F mixture, I wouldn't see a need to mess with your fuel system.
Cap holds pressure just fine and coolant is moving smoothly with the pump and t-stat open and closed. I'm only getting lean symptoms in closed loop. As soon as I hit open loop, my temps lower at least 10 degrees in about 30 seconds. Even with RPMs the same in closed loop, temps get higher. So it has to be related to A/F mixture, even though I'm not seeing a code. I have no tunes and no power-addres whatsoever, so I'm leaning towards sensors.

I changed the air filter and fuel filter (original filter looked like it was storing years-old coca cola and was totally clogged) and it helped to a degree (pun intended). This only further tells me that it's air-fuel related. I ordered a new MAF sensor and I'm going to do the O2 sensors as well. Since there are 4 sensors in total, and given the lack of apparent maintenance the previous owner did, I'm assuming these are probably wonky and need replacement.