Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:22 AM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

Default Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams

So before the cam install I had a C/L CAI with Brenspeed 93 tune. Mac Axlebacks and Mac Prochamber with cats. Steeda Underdrive Pullys and 4.10 gears. She was a Hot Rod. Now I got the Cams and I'm in shock. I'm not sure if I can beat a v-6 S-197 off the line. Gosh please someone help!!! Should I get a local tune? Ask Brenspeed for another tune? Please tell me I don't have to drive a VW Bug. She's great on the interstate but I like redlights. Before I heard you lost a little torque to up to no torque now I feel like disappointed.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:47 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cooperriver
So before the cam install I had a C/L CAI with Brenspeed 93 tune. Mac Axlebacks and Mac Prochamber with cats. Steeda Underdrive Pullys and 4.10 gears. She was a Hot Rod. Now I got the Cams and I'm in shock. I'm not sure if I can beat a v-6 S-197 off the line. Gosh please someone help!!! Should I get a local tune? Ask Brenspeed for another tune? Please tell me I don't have to drive a VW Bug. She's great on the interstate but I like redlights. Before I heard you lost a little torque to up to no torque now I feel like disappointed.
You're "in shock" because of the power you have gained or because the power didn't meet your expectations?

If I were you I would definitely get that tune updated (a.k.a. make sure Brenspeed knows that you are now running cams so they can send you the proper tune).

As far as if you can beat a V6 S197 is concerned, I assume you are referring to the 2011+ V6 equipped with the 3.7l, not the 2005-2010 4.0l v6 (those are S197's as well), right? In any case, assuming it is a stock 3.7l, you should definitely be able to beat it off the line considering the 4.6l V8 has 320 lb/ft torque (stock) vs the 3.7l V6 only having 280 lb/ft (stock) even though the V6 has 305 hp at the crank.

Yes, you might have lost some torque but most of that is made up for in horsepower. I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you because I am looking into getting cams myself. Having the right supporting mods also determines how much power you will get out of your cams. I highly recommend you getting longtube headers because they will really make your cams shine. I hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:56 AM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 'stangdude
You're "in shock" because of the power you have gained or because the power didn't meet your expectations?

If I were you I would definitely get that tune updated (a.k.a. make sure Brenspeed knows that you are now running cams so they can send you the proper tune).

As far as if you can beat a V6 S197 is concerned, I assume you are referring to the 2011+ V6 equipped with the 3.7l, not the 2005-2010 4.0l v6 (those are S197's as well), right? In any case, assuming it is a stock 3.7l, you should definitely be able to beat it off the line considering the 4.6l V8 has 320 lb/ft torque (stock) vs the 3.7l V6 only having 280 lb/ft (stock) even though the V6 has 305 hp at the crank.

Yes, you might have lost some torque but most of that is made up for in horsepower. I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you because I am looking into getting cams myself. Having the right supporting mods also determines how much power you will get out of your cams. I highly recommend you getting longtube headers because they will really make your cams shine. I hope this helps.

I have the brenspeed cams tune. I just can't believe I lost so much torque. I wanted the sound but this is not exactly what I expected.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 AM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

Stangdude don't get the cams. Get the Headers or nothing. I didn't want a supercharger before the tune. Now I'm crying and need something. Money doesn't grow on trees.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

You should call them and talk to them directly. Tell them the issues you are having. I had basically the same setup as you and it ran fine. You will lose some low end torque but i didn't think it was much. After you call them come back with here with your findings
Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 PM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

I did they said I'm rare case. I ask for a torque tune and they said they couldn't make one.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:11 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cooperriver
I did they said I'm rare case. I ask for a torque tune and they said they couldn't make one.
That's strange. It has to be the tune if anything. Do you know how much power you're losing? At this point, if Brenspeed is unable to help you, I would suggest going to a good tuner and getting it dyno tuned.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:03 PM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

O.K this is weird yesterday I had a hard time even starting the car. Still runs bad. So today I went back to my regular CAI Tune from Brenspeed and she runs like a hot rod again. However I did get a PO171 code but when I looked it up it says she's running to lean. I cleared the code and I'm like dang why can't I run great and have no check engine code. I have gotten this one before a while back when I ran her hard. All I know I'm estactic about having my car back. She's one rocket ship. Will it hurt to leave the old tune. I am going to have a Performance Garage check it out later after the holiday.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:28 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Really?? If you are asking that question you should really consider just owning a stock vehicle
Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure the cams were installed properly? Also, nothing beats an actual dyno tune from a good tuner. email tunes are a half-assed way to get the car running. Also, running lean is extremely dangerous. Get that tune asap.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed Detroit Rocker Cams