Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 Mustang GT common maintenance question

Old 08-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Lesson: Women come and go but a Mustang is forever
This.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:29 PM
fschaefer4

That's cool about your daughter.

The Mustang was the ex's baby. Man she loves that car. She's gone back to grad school and her elderly parents passed on a much newer, lower mile, more economical car. She's sad to see the Mustang go.

She called her Black Betty and always said, "When I turn her on, she returns the favor."
Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Sadly, our Mustangs aren't worth anything now days. It's best to just hold onto it and cherish it because only you will value it. My guess is they go for around $5,000-$8,000. That just isn't worth it to me. That's why when I was in the market for a new vehicle I just kept the Mustang.

Ford murdered the S197 resale with the 5.0, and again with the continual refinements of the newer models.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Sadly, our Mustangs aren't worth anything now days. It's best to just hold onto it and cherish it because only you will value it. My guess is they go for around $5,000-$8,000. That just isn't worth it to me. That's why when I was in the market for a new vehicle I just kept the Mustang.

Ford murdered the S197 resale with the 5.0, and again with the continual refinements of the newer models.
Maybe they killed the resale value, but I still prefer my body style to all those that came after. As far as the engine goes, the Coyote might be a beast, but the 3V has plenty of power, more than enough to get you in trouble. The S550's don't do anything for me, they look like Hyundai Genesis coupes. My car is 10 years old, looks new, runs like new, can keep up with much lighter cars on a track and it's all paid up. Perfect combination. I really don't feel like going into debt again for a new car.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I agree with Flash. I still like mine way better than the newer models. Id to have the new tech that the cars have now days. Mine is garage kept, looks bad ***, sounds bad *** and runs bad ***.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:03 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I agree with Flash. I still like mine way better than the newer models. Id to have the new tech that the cars have now days. Mine is garage kept, looks bad ***, sounds bad *** and runs bad ***.
I used to want the new tech too, until I started seeing EPAS dying left and right, issues with traction control not being fully disabled and SYNC that sucks. The IRS which by the way can be added to our cars if you feel like spending 8k dollars is the only tempting feature and honestly I don't miss it on the track. I realized there's nothing better than a dumb car that has no opinion of its own on how it should be driven. Plus, I can do all the work myself. I was even thinking of going further back and adding an aluminum pushrod 427 with a T56, until I got a quote for 35,000! It did have 700HP on pump gas though. ...
Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Maybe they killed the resale value, but I still prefer my body style to all those that came after. As far as the engine goes, the Coyote might be a beast, but the 3V has plenty of power, more than enough to get you in trouble. The S550's don't do anything for me
My sentiments exactly!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Maybe they killed the resale value, but I still prefer my body style to all those that came after. As far as the engine goes, the Coyote might be a beast, but the 3V has plenty of power, more than enough to get you in trouble. The S550's don't do anything for me, they look like Hyundai Genesis coupes. My car is 10 years old, looks new, runs like new, can keep up with much lighter cars on a track and it's all paid up. Perfect combination. I really don't feel like going into debt again for a new car.
Agree as well. My car will not be going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:45 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I didn't consider the issues with the new tech. My wife has sync in her fusion and she likes it for the most part. Haven't had any major problems with it. Everyonce in a blue moon her phone won't sync but that seems to happen after another device was connected and then removed. I do like Traction control on my car. Especially if its wet. I do turn it off most of the time but if the road is wet ill leave it on.

I have a friend that recently purchased an equinox i think. And it has wifi. I asked what the hell would that before. You have a smart phone.

I used to want the new tech too, until I started seeing EPAS dying left and right, issues with traction control not being fully disabled and SYNC that sucks. The IRS which by the way can be added to our cars if you feel like spending 8k dollars is the only tempting feature and honestly I don't miss it on the track. I realized there's nothing better than a dumb car that has no opinion of its own on how it should be driven. Plus, I can do all the work myself. I was even thinking of going further back and adding an aluminum pushrod 427 with a T56, until I got a quote for 35,000! It did have 700HP on pump gas though. ...
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I used to want the new tech too, until I started seeing EPAS dying left and right, issues with traction control not being fully disabled and SYNC that sucks. The IRS which by the way can be added to our cars if you feel like spending 8k dollars is the only tempting feature and honestly I don't miss it on the track. I realized there's nothing better than a dumb car that has no opinion of its own on how it should be driven. Plus, I can do all the work myself.
I appreciate new tech only when it does something I can't possibly keep up with (ex., engine fueling & ignition). I'd add "if it does something I'd find useful" except that after having a steering wheel, 3 pedals, a radio/CD player and HVAC there isn't much else I'd really even want. Needing a menu is its own definition of having added too much extraneous stuff, and touchscreens are a poor interface for use in a moving vehicle (I hated the touchscreen on the office copy machine badly enough, still hate it on the little blood pressure device).

I actually like the S550, including the 2018s . . . except for all the gee-whiz technology approaches to tasks that were solved by simpler and generally non-electronic means decades ago.

The last couple of days has been about the latest round of DIY undercar work - GT500 front arms, hubs, and brakes. I'm reminded that it's really nice to be able to call the necessary part of the job done once the brake bleeding was done (with the able assistance of my 20 y/o granddaughter). No AdvanceTrak to be reset for steering wheel centering.

On today's to-do list is the Ford Racing cut/clamp X-pipe and maybe the brake cooling ducts.

The girl I've been married to these past 47 years feels much the same way about not wanting technology that does things we don't even want to be doing while driving, but still wanting a 3-pedal car with a proper H-based floor shifter Heh, you should hear her on the topic of autonomous vehicles.

Norm

Search this Thread