Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Warranty coverage extended warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Noah Lane

Default Warranty coverage extended warranty issue

So… I've got a 2013 Mustang GT… Took it in to have the airbag recall done and have them look at a leaking pinion seal and axle vent tube… Both of which should've been covered by the powertrain warranty… I was told the Ford was not going to cover it. So after running around quite a bit I found that my in-service date was July 3 of 2012 which puts my car three days out of warranty… I was told the vehicle in-service date was January 2013… I also swear that I bought an extended warranty. The paperwork is in the car unfortunately which is at the dealership 25 miles away… My question is if I bought an extended warranty and the car had a recall on it that had not been performed yet can Ford deny to instate state that extended warranty until the recall is done?
Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Unless I'm not understanding you question, the warranty and recall will have nothing to do each other. So ones date or work performed will not affect the other.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How many miles are on the car? Vehicle warranties are written as xx months or xx miles, whichever occurs first. So, even if your car isn't x years old, if you have over the stated miles (like a lot), they will say you are out of warranty even if the alloted time has expired.

And like jz stated, recalls are independent of the mfg warranty.

For an extended warranty, you should have a pink or yellow copy of the original contract. It will tell you in that document whether or not you bought an extended warranty. Not all extended warranties cover the same things or are really extended.

Some warranties are concurrent with the mfg warranty meaning that "5 yr" extended warranty is really only two years because it starts on the same date and miles and the factory warranty. Consecutive type extended warranties only take over AFTER your factory warranty has expired.