Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark Plug + Coil pack change

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Spark Plug + Coil pack change

Hey guys,

So yesterday I finally broke down and changed my spark plugs & coils all in one shot. This is the first ever Spark plug change and I was super worried about snapping one.

I went with the Champion Double Platinum 1 piece design 7989, as well as the MSD. Since I have an 06 GT I can't use the Ford Racing coils which is a real bummer.

I just used some PB Blaster to work the plugs loose. Some carbon on some, rust on the others. They all came out with fairly little difficulty.

Drove it several times since then and there is improved throttle and MPG already, but will these coils and plugs last or am I just waiting to get a check engine light?
Old 08-01-2017, 11:54 AM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

general consensus is to stick with the OEM COP. aftermarkets are hit and miss. may last a week, may last 50k miles. glad to hear the plug change went well. good luck
Old 08-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Menace
Hey guys,

So yesterday I finally broke down and changed my spark plugs & coils all in one shot. This is the first ever Spark plug change and I was super worried about snapping one.

I went with the Champion Double Platinum 1 piece design 7989, as well as the MSD. Since I have an 06 GT I can't use the Ford Racing coils which is a real bummer.

I just used some PB Blaster to work the plugs loose. Some carbon on some, rust on the others. They all came out with fairly little difficulty.

Drove it several times since then and there is improved throttle and MPG already, but will these coils and plugs last or am I just waiting to get a check engine light?
The Champion plugs will be fine and you won't have to worry about breakage in the future. I'm on my second set. First set I put 70K on them. This set I've got a little under 5K on them. Coils, that's another story, most non OEM coils seem to cause more problems than they are worth for no power gain.

Keep the old coils handy. If you start having misfires, swap back to OEM and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:21 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken the COP's are the same, it's the coil boot that's different, so you could have bought the Ford ones and a set of NGK coil boots for the 2005-07. That being said, I have the MSD coils and they work just fine, but I still have my OEM ones as backup. I still use the 2 piece sparkplugs though, didn't have luck with Champion. Testing Brisk plugs now, but I think I'll eventually go back to the Ford sparkplugs. As long as you use the anti-seize they won't break.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Interesting guys, thanks. Yeah I have put this off for so long because everyone seems to have so many mixed experiences and there doesn't appear to be any solid offerings except sticking with stock.

I am noticing some definite improvements in MPG and Driveability though with the change. Is that contributed to the Spark Plugs or the Coils, or the combination? I'll keep the original coils but was just curious if maybe they are the root cause of my issues. The spark plugs didn't look that bad minus some rust on a few and some carbon on the others as mentioned.

Currently have just over 79k miles. Been dealing with the mileage/driveability issues for probably the last 10k. So far this has remedied that.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Boogiestang
1st Gear Member

I recently did mine also. Originals had 70k on them and yes broke 2 plugs while removing them. Also replaced coils with MSD pieces and just like you I did notice a mild improvement in general driving. I saved the originals just in case also. I have used msd parts for years and had a mix of luck with them. Seems like they work great or they don't work at all. My big block Chevelle went thru 2 6al boxes but they did warranty both so I can't cry that loud.