Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Strange noise from engine bay of 2012 GT/CS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 AM
Xero

Default Strange noise from engine bay of 2012 GT/CS

So i've had my 2012 GT/CS for about a year and a half now, 0 problems (though as I say this I'm having a small issue possibly with alternator).
Anyway, to the point. I've got this strange noise coming from the engine bay of my car, it's the 5.0, no real engine mods, only mod is an exhaust and an appearance mod.

I've gone to 3 shops and 2 did not find an issue during diagnostics, and the other didn't even want to bother guessing and just wanted to rip apart things and say 'it could be this/that/other thing' which is obviously not a good shop in the first place.
There are no strange engine temps or anything out of the ordinary going on, but as usual i'm still quite worried because this noise is ... well.. strange.

I've added a video of it now and it's unlisted, but still have no clue what the noise is.

The noise in question is in the beginning of the video, it's a sort of 'whining' noise and it's very random, and even cuts off DURING the video, which was weird as well.

If anyone has any idea what this could be, please let me know... because so far nobody else has a clue.

Thanks again!
(if you want to see pictures of (mostly) my car, check out my IG: @XeroCreator
Old 08-29-2017, 02:49 PM
AuburnFalcon

Sort of hard to tell with the crappy speakers I have. Really can't tell were its coming from but since you zoomed into the front of the engine, I'm assuming it's in that area. I'm by no way a engine expert but it kind of sounds like maybe a bearing going out in the serpintine belt tensioner. Should be easy enough to check. Thats my unprofessional guess.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

That sound is from worn pulley bearings. The question is which pulley. To find out, remove the serpentine belt and manually spin each pulley until you find the culprit. The most common are the idler, tensioner, and alternator pulleys as these are the smallest and turn at a faster speed.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:16 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Dino is on to something. Good advice. My money is on the tensioner. Why, because I don't hear that traditional "high pitched" whining sound.

The tensioner,for whatever reason, makes a unique low rubbing sound. Please let us know what ever it turns out to be.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:20 AM
Xero

Old but want to update that the issue was found.
It was the water pump seal giving out, Was still under a warranty then so had it replaced for free... they just replaced the whole pump for me surprisingly.