Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My 2007 GT Mod-Plan... and a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 PM
RedJamaX

Default My 2007 GT Mod-Plan... and a few questions...

I recently got my first mustang... a 2007 GT. It's got a few mods (body and engine) but nothing major. At the moment, it's my daily driver, but I'll be getting something different in about a year, then it will become my project / weekend car.

Current performance mods: K&N CAI, H-Pipe Flow Masters Exhaust, and Hurst Short-Throw shifter, and pretty sure the springs have been lowered a bit.

Here is my ultimate plan... and the thinking behind it... am I missing something? Or just plain wrong about anything?

Tower Brace
Ram Air Hood - (current hood is not Ram Air, fake ports for looks only)
Supercharger - (looking at Edlebrock E-Force Stage 1)
Ford Performance Cams
Long Headers
6-speed transmission (T-56 2.66-0.50)
4.11 rear gears

Ultimate goal... Fun to drive, powerful, throaty sounding, muscle car. I intend for it to be my weekend / long weekend-vacation car. I'll probably take it to my closest track a few times just to open it up, but that's not the goal... It's mostly just because I want a mustang that feels like a muscle car, but won't break the bank in terms of Mods, or MPG.

So, addressing the first questions I expect to get... why not just get a GT-500? Well, I already have this one, it was only $11K and even after the $30K+ for a GT-500 with this body-style, I'd still be wanting to spend more money on more upgrades to achieve the goal I describe here...

Supercharger - Looking at the Edlebrock E-Force Stage 1 Street (model 1508?). Advertised 166HP gain, which keeps it well in range of not needing to worry about upgrading other engine internals, but still gives a significant boost... (even if it doesn't get the full 166 gain... I'm cool with that).

Cams Upgrade - Ford Racing Performance Cams - Cause I want that more throaty gurgle, muscle car sound. Some people say they get HP gain when combined with long headers (which I have planned for that reason).. other people have said the gain isn't noticeable. Mostly, this one is about the sound.

Transmission and Gears - T-56 and 4.11... - so here's where it gets a bit sticky, and I tend to see more "discussions" about specifics in the forums. So here is my thinking....

6-speed - I want the 6-speed for the highway mileage, as I said, I plan to drive it regularly, just not daily. The T-56 appears to come in two flavors... 2.97-0.63, or 2.66-0.50. Given that I want the mileage gain, it seems more logical to go with the 0.50 OD option. It appears that you can also get a TR-6060 with 2.99-0.50 ratios, but having read a few reviews on that option, it looks like there are a lot more considerations since it is just "compatible", but not really meant to go with the S197.

4.11 Gears - Most people have traditionally recommended the 3.73 ratio.. (yet another topic of "discussion"), which was my original choice. But, given the 2.66 Ratio on 1st gear with the T-56, my guess is that I would loose a bit of that launch speed that I am paying a lot of money to gain... and the 4.11 would bring that back. The other T-56 option is 2.97-0.63.. but it seems I would get more out of that OD with the 0.50 & 4.11 (10.93-2.06) combo vs 0.63 & 3.73 (11.08-2.35)... (diff of 0.15-0.29)... (1.4% loss in 1st, vs 12.3% gain in OD).

Here's a spread sheet showing the variance in my considerations. The last columns are showing the percentage of difference... Gears 1-4 are calculated in terms of loss/gain for acceleration, while the Final O/D gear is based on loss/gain in mpg. I skipped 5th for the TR56 for the sake of simplicity.
Name:  TkISylk.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  27.1 KB

Found this on American Muscle - RPM Chart for Trans & Gear combinations. They show a TR6 for the 6-speed... do they actually mean T56?? Either way, this is supposed to indicate the RPMs at @65mph... and my math appears to line up...
Name:  ItWVp2r.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  48.7 KB

So... am I missing something? Is there some aspect of this I am not considering?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:04 PM
RedJamaX

Calculations.... Paragraph VS Spreadsheet.

In the paragraph I used a calculator and rounded... In the spreadsheet, Excel is handling the calculations, so those are more accurate.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:39 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

My question is more why not a 2011-2014 5.0 with 3.73 ? Add a tune and be at 400+ with the capability in the future to add 300+ hp with FI. IMO, sinking 10k into the 07 is not cost effective in the long run .

just curious...

​​​​​​
Old 09-06-2017, 10:32 PM
RedJamaX

Im going to agree that, bang-for-buck, a later model makes more sense.

Truth is... I really like this body style more than any of the others beyond 72. I feel like the 10's and up starting moving back to that sleek sports car look and feel. You are right, a few mods and i would have a lot more power... Ots just not the feel and the look that i want though.