Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.6 stroker kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:54 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
If you're happy with 300-310rwhp you could just do the stage 1 bolt-ons (CAI, CMDPs, UDPs, midpipe, tune) that I've done, upgrade suspension/brakes/tires, call it a day, and have fun with it.
Yup, that's mostly what I've done. Mine's a daily driver / track day car so no engine mods except intake and tune. Everything else is cooling upgrades and suspension, brakes and wheel/tires. Totally reliable and really fun.

My comment was geared mostly towards cams, which in my opinion make no sense considering the HP gain to cost ratio.
also, once you open an engine, reliability goes out the window. If my engine ever dies I'd rather make a used Coyote conversion than get a built 4.6
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

If I was to ever do a Coyote conversion, I'd choose the engine from a '15+ as it'll have the upgraded heads/cams/valvetrain and forged connecting rods that can handle up to 8000rpm.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6 stroker kit ?

mericumm, as far as I am concerned, the 4.6L, oem, is over-stroked from the factory. It is-what-it-is. Make the upgrades Dino suggests and have fun.
Flash xx is correct about not putting a lot of money into this project.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't put a lot of money into any car project unless I was planning long-term ownership, plus thousands of miles of driving, to ensure that I get my money's worth out of the upgrades.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:51 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6 stroker kit

mericmm, everyone here is on the money. The best way to make the 4.6 come alive,especially on acceleration, is to do what Ford did, bolt on a supercharger and never look back.
As FLASH XX said, it is expensive, and like Deno said, there are other, more productive options to take.
Let us know what your decision is and everyone will pitch in to make it a winner.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
mericumm, as far as I am concerned, the 4.6L, oem, is over-stroked from the factory.
So a square bore/stroke is overstroked? 4.6L is 3.55" bore and 3.55" stroke on 4" centers. Seems most everyone I talk to says that a square bore/stroke is the best for a N/A road race car. I guess if you compare it to the under-powered old school 289 it does have a deep stroke.
Regardless as everyone has said getting into the internals of the block and the rotating assembly is for those trying to make serious power thought boost... which means serious money.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:32 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6 stroker kit

danzcool, you caught me putting my cart before the horse. Somehow I got caught up with "rod to stroke ratios" and applied the wrong math to my answer.
Thanks for reminding me, very gently, to keep focused when answering a question.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:21 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The advantages of lengthening the engine's stroke are that it can produce more torque especially at low/medium rpm, and the increased compression ratio improves thermodynamic efficiency and fuel economy. Stroker kits also come with a forged crank, rods, and pistons which you'd need if you wanted to add FI later on.
The disadvantages of stroking the engine are that you're adding displacement without improving the engine's breathing so unless you do the latter, the gain in high rpm torque may be minimal to none. Thus you'll find peak HP & peak TQ occur at lower rpm, with a higher % torque gain at lower rpm. The longer stroke also increases the piston speed at any given rpm, thus reducing the safe maximum operating rpm.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:17 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Someone recommended just getting an 2013 F150 Coyote, which you can get for less than 3k complete. Makes less power than the Mustang's but has a a bit more torque down low. It even bolts to the TR3650 trans, so that might be the way I head. Only differences are the manifolds and cams and the manifolds don't matter since I'll be putting headers on. Still makes way more power than a N/A 4.6. Getting gauges to work is going to be a pain though.