Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

6th Alternator in 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Mark Ford

Default 6th Alternator in 6 months

I've had my '06 GT for about a year and a half. About a year in caught the cam position sensor code. Discovered it was the alternator going bad. Swapped out with a brand new one from advanced auto. Didn't last the weekend. Had it tested, and it failed. Had them test a new one, also failed. Finally got a good one in. Car ran fine for several months, however it kept throwing a check charging system error, but that would go away after driving for about 20 minutes.

Drove like this for a few months, until I started getting voltage spikes at or above 2500 rpm. Decided to go with a SR Performance alternator, yellow top Optima battery, and PA performance power wire, for what would essentially be a brand new electrical system.

Swapped out everything, and nothing is working. Took the car to the local shop, who said alternator was bad, despite being a brand new performance alternator, and that I should get an OEM alternator from Ford to fix my issue. Did that, new alternator from Ford installed, and still nothing. Pulled that alternator and had it tested at Advance Auto, it failed.

I understand many folks have had similar issues, and am hoping someone has some advice. I'm already about $1200.00 in in the past month, and still have a dead car
Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Since your car's eating alternators for breakfast, I think you'd better check the wiring again 'cause something's definitely wrong.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 6th Alternator in 6 months

Mark Ford, Dino makes a excellent point about checking the wiring. I say this in regards to your alternator problem because Ford has a nasty habit if hiding resistors,fuses, etc, in their OEM electrical systems. This can cause many problems. Do you have a ,reputable, auto-electric shop nearby???
Old 01-16-2018, 02:51 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I was thinking more in terms of damaged wiring insulation causing a short circuit or current leak somewhere. My primary focus would be on the B+ power cable from alternator to positive battery post, but you might also want to check the grounds.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

In this case, dealer. They have a machine they hook up that checks the condition of the charging system including the sinewave of the alternator. I really can't remember the name of the test but they do it whenever they test the charging system for replacing a battery under warranty so they don't replace the wrong part (alternator vs battery) or aren't ignoring another problem that's causing the battery or alternator to fail. It takes at least an hour to run.

That, or Advance has chitty alternators. I usually go through Rock Auto these days or through Ford Parts under Autonation White Bear Lake Ford in Minnesota, they both have great prices on FoMoCo/Motorcraft parts.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 AM
tw1234
1st Gear Member

I think I'd be looking at the main ground wiring. There are 2 main ground wires from the battery. I believe one attaches down near the starter/transmission area. The other I believe attaches to the right rear cylinder head area. Make sure they're connected as well as the wiring and terminals aren't green with corrosion. Also check for any other grounds in engine compartment that may be green and check for tightness.