Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - Installed & Working!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:01 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - Installed & Working!

Hey Everyone,

I have been meaning to do this for a while, but I've never gotten around to it. I purchased my Powerdyne Supercharger kit from R&E Racing back in March. Before you knockers start saying "Powerdyne Sucks" etc, unless you have one of your 05, don't be a wise ***. I won't lie, the reason I went with Powerdyne was because it was cheap! I wanted a safe amount of power, that would not harm my engine, and I didn't want to pay an arm and leg for it. So, I called up R&E, and we worked it out to $2,915.95 shipped. One hell of a deal! For all that, I got...

SCT Tuner with a Canned Powerdyne Tune
39# Injectors
BBK Wabro Fuel Pump
High-Flow MAM
and of course the S/C and all the parts needed for the install

The install wasn't too bad. A couple friends and I did the install on our own. The directions were pretty straight forward, and the color pictures really helped. We only had one problem with the actual install.

On the coolant cross-over tube, we needed to remove one of the pipes on the inside of it. The directions say to heat up the out side and then use a screwdriver to pull it out. We did that, and broke the screwdriver. We ended up having to take it to a machine shop to have them remove it.

Really, that was the only installation issue we had. After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing. Everything went in and installed perfectly.

Now, post installation, we had a tune of issue. Let me state for the record, ALL OF THESE ISSUES WERE OUR FAULT, not the fault of Powerdyne. These were all because of our crappy install. The reason I am putting these here is so that other people don't do the same mistakes.

1) The fuel pump cut out. Everything seemed to be working great. Unfortunatly, I couldn't really test it, because I needed to get to work (i was a bartender then). I make it to work from my friends house, about a 10 mile drive. Leaving around 2:30, everything seemed to be fine for about 200 feet, until I hit a bump, and the fuel shuts off. I coast into a parking lot, and make a few calls. The tools arive, we go into the gas tank, and find that the power wires were not crimped correctly, and the got loose and disconnected. We fix that up, and head back to BBQ.

2) We get back and all is well. We come out around 4AM to go for a drive, and we see coolant all over the floor. Odd, we fill it with more coolant anyways and go driving again. As we get back from the short drive, and I'm getting ready to call it a night and go home, the car starts acting strange. Fuel is surging, and finally cuts off. We thought the wires came undone. This time its a little worse, the fuel pump actually failed. The brand new Walbro BBK fuel pump took a ****. Further investigation and we find that the filter had fallen off, possibly causing it to malfunction. It was 4AM, so we figured we would fix it in the morning. Next morning, we find out the the stock pump can handle about 450rwhp, so we put the stock pump back in. Turns out a local shop has a used Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump for sale for $150. I buy it and install it to make sure the stock pump can handle the pressure.

3) She's alive again, but leaking coolant. Not a huge leak, but a pretty significant one. As it turns out, we damaged one of the sealent/o-rings in the coolant crossover tube, and that created a leak in our coolant system. Had to order a new ring, and change it. Yay, things are finally looking up!!

4) Driving along normally, the fuel cuts out again. I roll into a parking lot (barely) and check the fuse for the pump...blown. Replace it with another 15A fuse, and it blows immediatly. I figure since the BAP is creating more voltage, it needs more current, so I put in a 20A and it works again. This is the end of my fuel issues!! *knocks on wood*

5) 1.5 months later...another coolant leak!!!! This time, it take almost a month to pinpoint it (granted I wansn't looking hard). Turns out on of the main coolant lines had shifted, and was on the belt. Apparently it had been there pretty much the entire time (a look back at the dyno video shows it on it). I didn't notice until I say the belt starting to fray, and then I noticed it. Replaced the belt and tube, and now everything is working!!!

So far, so good. Everything now seems to be working quite well. When I dynoed, the coolant tube was on the belt (no doubt robbing HP) and my AFR was very rich (about 10.8:1). I'm holding out on the custom tune until I get my final performance mods (longtubes and a one piece ds).

-
-
-
-

All in all, I don't regret getting the Powerdyne. So far, it has proved to work just as advertised. It hits 7 PSI (advertised) around 5800RPM, which means I can probably hit more if I redline it. It provided a GREAT bang for my buck while giving me some piece of mind that my engine won't blow up. If you looking for a good, affordable HP gain, look into the Powerdyne. R&E has great pricing on them. Take my suggestion though, and this goes for all FI, if your not good with tools, let the professionals do it. Would of saved me five very big headaches!

~Fred
Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Powerdyne Supercharger Kit - Installed & Working!

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I bet that fuel pump wasn't the right one for our fuel systems. You need a fuel pump designed to work with a returnless style fuel system I do believe. Using one designed for a return style system can burn it up. I doubt the filter coming off would kill it that quickly.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Ya, thats kind of what I figured. Walbro doesn't make a returnless fuel pump yet. Oh well, the stock one is working just fine.

~Fred
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 PM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the install!! despite the 5 BIG Headaches you can proudly say that you installed it yourself!

BTW what's your dyno #s? or would you tell us after correcting everything?

Just curiouse
Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

The dyno was done with the coolant tube on the belt and with an AFR of 10.8 and I think the old S/C was slipping, so I never hit a full 7 PSI. I think it was like 370 hp and 320 tq, but I REALLLY need to get a tune and try it again. I'll update ya'll when I get that done.

~Fred
Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Bryanpolk

I need help installing my powerdyne any tips