Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang damaged in a wreck, questions about how insurance works

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang damaged in a wreck, questions about how insurance works

So I got hit yesterday in my mustang while taking my daughter to her boyfriends baseball game. Without the slightest doubts, was the other drivers fault...so that part is totally over and without dispute (police confirmed she was ticketed for failure to yield).

The damage was mostly confined to my rear passenger wheel area. There is a dent right above the center of the wheel well with scratches another few feet, and the rear bumper was partially tore off on the one side, but worst of all.....the majority of the damage seems to be centered on my rear passenger wheel itself, my Alcoa's, and the undercarriage that it attaches to. The wheel itself is toast. Its bent, and gouged, and totally unrepairable. Either the control arms are also bent or the frame is because the left drivers side rear wheel definitely sticks out past the fender, while the impacted passenger side wheel is actually now underneath the fender on that side (so the whole rear end is moved over). In addition to it being moved over, that same passenger wheel now sits much further towards the rear of the car verses being in the middle as it should be.

My question is(and I'm not looking to start any arguments or anything, but I've never been in an accident before, so I have NO knowledge what-so-ever about how this part works), how does replacing the wheel work?? In other words...obviously the Alcoa's aren't even made anymore. They haven't been for some years now, and there are rarely any to be found to be able to purchase. So how will the insurance try to handle it, and how should I allow them to? Obviously, buying a replacement wheel of something else is a joke....it wont match what I had on the car. Do they have to buy a different set of wheels for me that I want (within reason)? Am I **** out of luck??

Just looking for advice on how to best handle it and also trying to get an idea what to expect from the insurance. I've been fortunate to have this be the first accident I've ever been involved in since I started driving 34 years ago, so to say I'm clueless about how this should work or play out would be an understatement.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Depends on the insurance company.

They have a percentage they use, like, if the car is worth $9000, and damages
are $6500+, they may total the car. Happened to my son TWICE. The loan was
still $13000, the insurance paid $9000, and GAP covered the rest. I have GAP,
and always get it, it's cheap enough. You have 30 days from purchase to get
GAP coverage.

SO, you have to see what you're KBB resale value is and hope. Like mine, with high miles,
is $7200, so if damages went to ~$6000, they'd total it... I got full coverage on it,
even though I don't drive it much. I didn't get GAP on this one though, they didn't
even ask, so it went over my head this time...

Anyhow, once you get over 75% of the cars value in damages, they won't fix it.

REPAIRS:
My company, hands me the check, and I fix it how I see fit. I actually bought my '08
Mustang from two prior claims where I got the checks, and my cost to fix the car
was $480 ($2400 check) $1050 ($4200 check), then the last one cost me $425 to fix,
($2500 check). I work in a shop, and buy all the parts from eBay, and put them on
myself. I have $1200 left over from all three deer impact claims... Cars are getting
easier to repair. They miss parts here and there, but for what I pay for them -vs-
the checks I get, there is no sense in having the adjuster come back and reassess
the damages. Like, this time, he missed the core support, well, I can get one
for < $70.00, so there is no point in it. I got damages for a headlamp, and as it turns
out though, it's fine, the mount just pushed through the rad support. $245 for a
headlamp, I bought two aftermarket ones for $145, that I can sell and get a rad support.

ANYHOW, since it was not the drivers fault, and other person's insurance company will
take care of it. As far as the wheel, they have to try and find one, or replace all four
to match in some cases. There was a guy who hit a Delorian, just the driver door, and the
repair on the door was $900+, and the guy said that was outrageous! JUST THE DOOR he
argued. Well, that's because he didn't know the door is made of stainless steel, and has to
be special ordered or fabricated. This was a long time ago, now it would be $1200+ for just
a panel now.

Metal work and refinishing labor is the most costly portion of repairs... Parts can be
$500, but labor and refinishing be $1200.

They should do their best to find a matching wheel, or replace them all...

It should also not go against the driver's record, the OTHER driver was at fault.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Can you post some pics of the damage?
Insurance companies will write off the vehicle if the repair cost is more than 70% of the value of the car. This means that older cars are more likely to be written off.
Labor is the biggest cost when it comes to repairs, and that'll be very high if there's frame damage. You could have the car towed to a repair shop to get a rough estimate and take it from there.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Can you post some pics of the damage?
Insurance companies will write off the vehicle if the repair cost is more than 70% of the value of the car. This means that older cars are more likely to be written off.
Labor is the biggest cost when it comes to repairs, and that'll be very high if there's frame damage. You could have the car towed to a repair shop to get a rough estimate and take it from there.
No one thought of that, oh, wait...
Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
They have a percentage they use, like, if the car is worth $9000, and damages
are $6500+, they may total the car. Happened to my son TWICE. The loan was
still $13000, the insurance paid $9000, and GAP covered the rest. I have GAP,
and always get it, it's cheap enough. You have 30 days from purchase to get
GAP coverage.

SO, you have to see what you're KBB resale value is and hope. Like mine, with high miles,
is $7200, so if damages went to ~$6000, they'd total it... I got full coverage on it,
even though I don't drive it much. I didn't get GAP on this one though, they didn't
even ask, so it went over my head this time...

Anyhow, once you get over 75% of the cars value in damages, they won't fix it.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:47 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

As the saying goes "a picture's worth 1000 words".
Old 04-24-2018, 04:41 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
As the saying goes "a picture's worth 1000 words".
There's an '08 V6 on Craigslist, locally here, he wants $2000 for it, 75,000 miles and says
it needs some panels replaced, and a little work. Dude, the thing looks like it spun out and
hit every single panel on the car! Both doors, both fenders, both rear quarters, HOOD,
bumper covers... I mean, it's a friggin' mess, and he says it needs a little work? It needs
over $6000 in repairs, and that doesn't even including painting and finishing.

Look at this thing:
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ct...559594178.html

Got the pillars too...

Yeah, we need to see what the O.P.'s car looks like...
Old 04-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There's an '08 V6 on Craigslist, locally here, he wants $2000 for it, 75,000 miles and says
it needs some panels replaced, and a little work. Dude, the thing looks like it spun out and
hit every single panel on the car! Both doors, both fenders, both rear quarters, HOOD,
bumper covers... I mean, it's a friggin' mess, and he says it needs a little work? It needs

Look at this thing:

Got the pillars too...

Yeah, we need to see what the O.P.'s car looks like...
What?!? Some as seen on TV NuFinish and a little elbow grease, that'll buff right out!

To the OP, yep, pictures. But, don't be surprised if they total it. What year is it?

For wheels you may be able to find a used wheel in good shape but, from the sounds of it (based on your description) upper and lower control arms are most likely damaged and the mounting points could've been bent.

At the very least you'll probably want a new complete rear axle with a new upper arm and lowers. It's too risky to think the old one wasn't damaged and beats chasing your tail later with alignment, tire wear, or noise issues later on. Adjustable Pan hard bar to recenter everything and possibly a new driveshaft.

Even if they do decide to fix it, file a diminished resale value claim. This means that not only does the car get fixed but, the responsible insurance company cuts you a check to make up for the difference in the car's value before and after the accident. People will never pay top dollar for a used car that's been in an accident. Most people don't know to ask for that and insurance companies don't openly offer it.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:19 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

IF you take the car to a dealer or a professional auto-body shop, it will be on the Car Fax
report. If you take it to the local garage, or do it yourself, it won't be.

Year is also important, the older it is, the higher the chance on the damage to value
ratio being at 75%. If YOU feel you can repair it, let them total it, then buy it back.
If mine took $4000 in damages, they're probably total it.

That '08 for $2000? It would cost more than its worth to repair it RIGHT. $1000? I would
buy it and make it somewhat presentable. The body damage on that one is substantial,
and who knows what damage there is to the suspension and under carriage. Not to
mention the bumper cover mounting hardware... That's why he's selling it, it will cost
too much to fix it. Someone like LKQ could buy that and double their payout in parts.
~$1300 for the motor and trans alone...

For $1000, I'd buy it, then get all the primer painted parts from eBay and drive it like that.
No way is it worth the repair and finishing.. If I had a garage, it would be a definite buy
for me, then I have a parts car for mine. If it would last, then maybe over the span of 2
years getting it looking presentable.

I have full coverage on mine even thought I bought it outright. When you have liability only,
then that's what happens; you spin it out, hit every panel on it, and can't afford to fix it.

So, lets see some pictures of yours...
Old 04-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Look at this thing:

Got the pillars too....
It's the less desirable V6 model so I wouldn't even bother repairing it. It's only worth buying to break it for parts but at $1000 tops, and even that's on condition that the engine/tranny are in good shape.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:15 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I'd run it with a replacement hood and two front fenders for $1000. I'd leave them primer
too, would not even bother to paint them.... I showed it to a friend of mine who owns
a collision center, ~$8000 to fix all of that, painted and finished.

Quick Reply: Mustang damaged in a wreck, questions about how insurance works