MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Anyone get an airbag recall letter on your Mustang? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/734521-anyone-get-an-airbag-recall-letter-on-your-mustang.html)

GT Nate 05-29-2018 10:12 AM

Anyone get an airbag recall letter on your Mustang?

I received a letter about the passenger airbag possibly exploding on deployment.
I'm taking it to the dealer tonight to have the part ordered and installed when it comes in. All covered by Ford BTW

Recal # 18V046

08'MustangDude 05-29-2018 12:34 PM

Heh, where you been, there are already a few threads on this. It's also not
limited to ford, almost every domestic car MFR used Takata airbags those
years, and this put them out of business.

The air bags, with age, basically turned into a frag grenade...

There are also lots of complaints with the work, holes in the steering wheel,
badly lined up dash panel on the passenger side...

GT Nate 05-29-2018 01:51 PM

Yeah, that's my concern, how much has to be taken apart to get to the passenger airbag? I'll make sure to look it over fully before driving off the lot. I'm not going to accept a piss poor job.

Until then, no passengers.

Limited my search to S197 forum, wondering only about same model years as mine 2010

bl817 05-29-2018 04:43 PM

Ive already had both sides replaced in my 05' GT. couldn't tell anything was done, looks great!

GT Nate 05-30-2018 06:33 AM

Well I found out it's NOT the airbag, but the airbag inflator. It gets contaminated in high humidity environments where it makes the propellant go off TOO fast, this causes the airbag metal parts to fracture and bang you got a grenade.
They'll just replace the inflator.

Whilst I was there, I peeked in the showroom... man the new Mustangs are SO SWEET!! I want one of those after I pay this one off in about 1.5 years.

floatingbridgeperson 05-30-2018 10:49 AM

Read that your GT looks great after airbag replacement. What's the secret? On my Bullitt, it looks like they just cut through the leather to access the two caps and then stuck them back in. It looks terrible, and the Dealership says sorry there is nothing else they can do. I am searching for remedies and suggestions. Anyone, please help!

Michael Warmoth 05-30-2018 11:16 AM

Airbag damage

Please provide pictures to show the damage you mention. I've had driver side done and about to have passenger side. i want to see what happened to your car. I will provide pictures upon mine being finished.

R/Mike

GT Nate 05-30-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by floatingbridgeperson (Post 8624675)
Read that your GT looks great after airbag replacement. What's the secret? On my Bullitt, it looks like they just cut through the leather to access the two caps and then stuck them back in. It looks terrible, and the Dealership says sorry there is nothing else they can do. I am searching for remedies and suggestions. Anyone, please help!

Oh, sorry it's not been installed yet. The parts on order. I'll snap AFTER pics and post when it's done.

Gravydog316 05-30-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GT Nate
I received a letter about the passenger airbag possibly exploding on deployment.
I'm taking it to the dealer tonight to have the part ordered and installed when it comes in. All covered by Ford BTW

Recal # 18V046

that was like 3 years ago, but they were only replacing the drivers side until now

1 Alibi 2 05-31-2018 09:44 AM

Had the bags on the driver's side of both cars done.
Have not gotten a recall notice for the passenger side on either car yet ??