Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Off The Convertible Deep End

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:56 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Default Off The Convertible Deep End

Wow, I'm having some trouble and need some help. I've posted a couple other threads, I just picked up a 2006 GT convertible. Has a couple of suspension issues, otherwise a cherry. While test driving it twice, the convertible top worked like a charm... yeah, until I got it home.
Swapped the relays, started to check the switch - noticed some cut wires, some speaker wire instead, basically a minor rats nest in the overhead light console. Tested the switch, it appears to be fine on both the raise and lower. So, took out the back seats to see what the hell I was in for... Somebody wired in a couple of relays, after they cut into the stock harness (I can easily see where they cut). Anyway, I have power to the main pos and neg, was going to swap the relays with both each other, and possibly the ones in the trunk fuse box that are obviously not being used. Well, I decided to check the fluid first... I got the damn plug out, it was full of fluid. However, the fluid was NOT ATF, it was either brake fluid or just plain clear/yellow hydraulic fluid. It looks like the stuff I put in my boat steering, but it has the brake "stickiness", like it is corrosive.
Anyway, it was full. It *was* working, so I tried for several hours to get that little SOB of a rubber plug back in. Does anyone have any idea how to get that thing back in??? I was SO frustrated I started looking online for a new pump, hoping that maybe a new pump had a screw in plug, ANYTHING better than that rubber plug. I simply cannot find a replacement pump for this car! I looked for a while. I see the cylinders, used pumps on ebay, but is this something I have to go to Ford for? Are replacement pumps using the same crappy rubber plug?
Man, I've never had such bad luck just trying to fix something. Heck, the ball joints and suspension are going to be a breeze compared to this.

Any help with A) getting that dang plug back on, or B) finding another pump, especially if it has a better design for the plug, like a screw on plug.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:37 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Well, to answer the plug question (if I say so myself, lol)... I drained the fluid in the pump, followed some instructions on how to bleed the cylinders, put the right ATF in it, bled it to get the air out of it, and the plug was a non-issue... ATF is much slipperier than the stuff in the pump originally, so I could work it in. Feel stupid on that one, it simply would NOT go in with whatever was in the pump initially.
Obviously this pump works, but I still am mystified as to why I cannot find one online. I'm going to call Ford next week just to solve the mystery.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM
johnnybee

I don’t know much about Mustang electrics but I spent a lot of time on vintage British ones. I would suggest that you get enough wire to go straight from the battery to the top motor and check to make sure it’s working ok. Once you know that, you can start tracing from the switch to the motor to find where you’re losing power. A meter is good for this as you can hook it up along the way at each point and toggle the switch to see the results. In any event, I would also recommend replacing any speaker wire with the proper gauge wire.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:25 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Yes, that is pretty close to the plan I have. I bought a pair of relays to replace the ones in there just to see if that makes a difference, we will see. I've been working on the front end after getting it closed up, going to get it on 4 wheels first. Then I'll attack the convertible top again.