Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4 Months Out of Warranty. Only 21,000 Miles and THIS happens...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:30 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

You could try Ford customer service for some potential $$$ assistance with the repair. They might cut a deal.

You're in NJ though, there should be a speed shop that isn't far away. A speed shop is a shop that builds cars for racing. People that want to have a supercharger installed or full exhaust or a new clutch, or new motor etc. would be considered customers and they should have experience with rebuilding or installing rear ends.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:32 AM
deadmau5

Originally Posted by ZEN357
And Ford won't do anything at all for you? With 21,000 a shot rear end is a load of crap something was wrong to begin with from the factory in my opinion.
I reached out to them on twitter and their "service" dept contacted me but ultimately wasn't helpful at all.

My last resort is a contact from Ford Corporate offices from a prior issue I had a few years back, I'm just
waiting to hear back from them to see if they can remedy the situation. If not, I'm going to take the advice
in this thread and order the part and have someone put it in. If that happens, it will be the last time I buy a
Ford. Period.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:36 AM
deadmau5

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
You could try Ford customer service for some potential $$$ assistance with the repair. They might cut a deal.

You're in NJ though, there should be a speed shop that isn't far away. A speed shop is a shop that builds cars for racing. People that want to have a supercharger installed or full exhaust or a new clutch, or new motor etc. would be considered customers and they should have experience with rebuilding or installing rear ends.
Thanks for explaining that, never heard of speed shops. I'm definitely going to google maps it and see what comes up
in my area.

By the way, whats the significance of the 3:73 gear to the 3:55? Why is it more here? http://www.brenspeed.com/bren8-8package.html# Which config should I order for my stock GT?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:37 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Google "new jersey speed shops mustang" and see if any of those shops are close to you. Check out their website/facebook/whatever, and reach out for a quote on installing a new rear end or a rebuilt (whichever you want) and see how much they would charge. I'm thinking its less than the $2400 from the dealer, but look around too for how much those replacement parts are.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:55 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by deadmau5
Thanks for explaining that, never heard of speed shops. I'm definitely going to google maps it and see what comes up
in my area.

By the way, whats the significance of the 3:73 gear to the 3:55? Why is it more here? http://www.brenspeed.com/bren8-8package.html# Which config should I order for my stock GT?
The 3.73s are a steeper gear than the 3.55 so in theory, when using a numerically steeper gear, it should provide more acceleration and a greater seat-of-the-pants feel. This does mean however a lower top speed. For example, a 3.31 geared car might top out at 40 mph in first gear but a 4.10 geared car may only go up to 30 mph.

It looks like the 3.55 in that link is actually another 20 bucks. Looking at the ring/pinion gear sets alone, the 3.55 is also more expensive than the 3.73. Not sure why, if they cost more to make (I doubt it) or if they're not big sellers.

Your car came with either 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73. Without being there to turn the wheel and count the driveshaft turns, I'm not sure how to determine what the CS's came with to determine what your car currently has. Did your car come with a performance package like brembo brakes?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:00 AM
deadmau5

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
The 3.73s are a steeper gear than the 3.55 so in theory, when using a numerically steeper gear, it should provide more acceleration and a greater seat-of-the-pants feel. This does mean however a lower top speed. For example, a 3.31 geared car might top out at 40 mph in first gear but a 4.10 geared car may only go up to 30 mph.

It looks like the 3.55 in that link is actually another 20 bucks. Looking at the ring/pinion gear sets alone, the 3.55 is also more expensive than the 3.73. Not sure why, if they cost more to make (I doubt it) or if they're not big sellers.

Your car came with either 3.31, 3.55 or 3.73. Without being there to turn the wheel and count the driveshaft turns, I'm not sure how to determine what the CS's came with to determine what your car currently has. Did your car come with a performance package like brembo brakes?
Thanks for clearing that up. Seriously, you guys are so helpful, I can't thank you enough.

It didn't come with a performance package. I believe the CS package is just cosmetic.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Has the car been lowered at all? Doesn't the 2015 come with a 5yr/60K mile powertrain warranty? Diff should be covered under that I would think.

Anyways, the reason I ask about the lowering of the car is, if the car's suspension has been lowered, or the suspension has settled (lowered) from just age, it's possible the Pinion angle at the rear differential is off. The pinion angle is the angle between the driveshaft and the Pinion. The pinion is the part where the drive shaft is bolted to the rear differential with four or more bolts. If that angle is out of specification, you can get noises in the rear, especially whining or humming hat to someone that doesn't bother looking at the pinion angle would easily state, Hey you need a whole rear rebuild!

Dealers are not all the same so some would just opt for a rebuild. More money for them and there's no guarantee it will actually solve the problem! A speed shop could check that out for you.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM
deadmau5

Originally Posted by Derf00
Has the car been lowered at all? Doesn't the 2015 come with a 5yr/60K mile powertrain warranty? Diff should be covered under that I would think.

Anyways, the reason I ask about the lowering of the car is, if the car's suspension has been lowered, or the suspension has settled (lowered) from just age, it's possible the Pinion angle at the rear differential is off. The pinion angle is the angle between the driveshaft and the Pinion. The pinion is the part where the drive shaft is bolted to the rear differential with four or more bolts. If that angle is out of specification, you can get noises in the rear, especially whining or humming hat to someone that doesn't bother looking at the pinion angle would easily state, Hey you need a whole rear rebuild!

Dealers are not all the same so some would just opt for a rebuild. More money for them and there's no guarantee it will actually solve the problem! A speed shop could check that out for you.
Hey thanks for responding.

The car is pretty much 100% stock and has not been lowered.

I found a couple of speed shops by me.

https://goo.gl/maps/S9JA7GywyWz]http://Mustang Magic & American Muscle 160 Brook Ave, Deer Park, NY 11729 (631) 254-3430 https://goo.gl/maps/S9JA7GywyWz[/url]
this one is almost 2 hours away

http://Edgewater Motors 866 River Rd...s/JrRcvyNUHZD2
and this one is only 11 minutes down the road

those look like my best options? if anyone wants to look in my area to see what they would go with that would be cool.
My zip is 07093
Old 08-30-2018, 01:56 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

JDM Engineering are based in NJ so you could give them a call. They have a very good reputation for building Mustangs, and they'll have the parts you'll need plus the expertise to install them.
Here's their website:

http://www.teamjdm.com