Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Struts for 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Default New Struts for 06 GT

Does anyone have any suggestions on struts and rear shocks? When I bought the car the struts looked brand new but all of a sudden I have some serious clunking in my front end when going over a bump. Had another car guy confirm what I thought, he said "struts"... I've put new lower a arms on the car and did all the steering, those were the only thing I didn't replace, they looked new. However, I need to yank them off and put something good on that won't break the bank but take that clunk out of my front end. I see there are sets for sale, both front struts and rear shocks, but thought this forum would produce some good info. Apologies because my searches didn't come up with anything, maybe i'm not doing my searches correctly - please be easy.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Mine have 120,000 miles on them, no clunking...

Check the sway bar bushings, or end links first...
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Yeah, my '12 clunked when the sway bar end links were bad. To test the shocks/struts, try pushing down on each corner of the car and see if it bounces up and stays or keeps moving. Non worn units should rebound and stay.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Clunking when going over a bump could be from worn strut mounts rather than the struts themselves. It's probably a good policy, when replacing front struts, to replace the mounts at the same time.
Other possible causes of clunks when going over bumps are worn tie rod ends, worn ball joints, worn front control arm bushings, and worn front sway bar end links.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'd say, based on your goals, go for Koni STR.T, they are the low cost/non adjustable version of Koni's.
and as Dino said replace the strut mounts at the same time, and possibly the endlinks (connects from front strut to front sway bar)
https://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-...-kit-0510.html
Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM
07MRMIKE

after chasing the "clunk" for several months i finally installed Pedders quick struts and shocks, it did get rid of the noise but they are way to stiff a ride for the street. Im thinking about swapping them to koni's in the spring.

Mike
Old 01-18-2019, 01:06 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
I'd say, based on your goals, go for Koni STR.T, they are the low cost/non adjustable version of Koni's.
Those will also be on my shopping list for the future. I'd like slightly firmer damping but without degrading ride quality so those should do just fine. I'm running at stock ride height (need to clear local speed bumps without scraping the exhaust).
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Mine have 120,000 miles on them, no clunking...

Check the sway bar bushings, or end links first...
I will definitely check these, good suggestion. I put it on jacks last night but it started raining so I called it. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to see what is up. I get a clunk then a rattle, like the front end is about to rattle off. All of the steering and ball joints have been replaced, but that doesn't mean they are still good. I'll post what I find after the weekend....
Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 AM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Clunking when going over a bump could be from worn strut mounts rather than the struts themselves. It's probably a good policy, when replacing front struts, to replace the mounts at the same time.
Other possible causes of clunks when going over bumps are worn tie rod ends, worn ball joints, worn front control arm bushings, and worn front sway bar end links.
I'm going to check out all of these things this weekend. I just need to get under her and check out what's going on under her skirts.... lol. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:30 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I installed Koni STR.T struts, rear shocks and GT500 strut mounts about 100K miles ago. Have been very happy with them.

Quick Reply: New Struts for 06 GT