Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

fabricated CAI from stock air box???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

Default fabricated CAI from stock air box???

I'm just throwin this out there so bear with me...

K, so I'm gettin the saleen SC, with 90mm MAF, and the 6"adapter so you can hook a cone filter right to the MAF. Now this is all hunky dory right, but what about support? I don't want that intake floppin around in there everytime I pull a few Gs. Also some sorta heat shield would def. be nice...sorta like the Steeda CAI, but that thing's 300 bux! So here's the thought....could I mill or cut and fabricate a heat shield/support brace from the factory air box. I can't even look at it in person to see if it's possible cuz I'm still in the middle east. But if it could be done I could either A: have a cheaper alternative to Steeda or C&L etc..., and/or B: have a sorta sleeper CAI by leaving visible parts of the box mostly in tact. Might be kewl keeping somewhat of a stock look even if there is a SC starin you in the face.

Some might say pony up the dough and get the Steeda...but the SC is breakin me as it is and it's time to pinch pennies...

What are ya'lls thoughts?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:05 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: fabricated CAI from stock air box???

funny you should say that cause i just modified mine last night to work with my rk sport ram air hood. all i did was cut six 1 1/4" holes in the top of the air box. now when i get to the track i can just peel off the tape covering the hole and get all the fresh air it needs. anything can be modified if you have the tools and the time. eventually i will make a box like you are talking about and cut the lid off of theMAF so a 3 1/2" cone filter will clamp on. i see no need to spend $300 for a MAF and filter when the stock MAF is a 80mm and has twin 56mm throttle body. thats enough for 400rwhp. companies are making stuff justso they can sell you something even if there is no need for it.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:32 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

I am confused, Tape, Holes on top ?
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

yeah i know. i'm new at this so i don't have a host? to put pics on. anyway my hood is a ram air hood. the air passage in the hood is located directly above the stock airbox. i figued iwas going to but a cai(steeda?) so i didn't feel bad about drilling some holes in the air box lid. the only problem with that is the air doesn't pass through the filter before it gets to the MAF. that's ok at the track but no way on the street. so i covered them with what else? duct tape. i gotta get that cai soon.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:38 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

yeah i know. i'm new at this so i don't have a host? to put pics on.
easy as it gets: http://imageshack.us/
if that doesnt work someway somehow, email me them and i'll host them.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 AM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I'd prolly go with a mix between the two...ram airish effect WITH air filtration. I don't think I'd run mine without filtration even a little bit. Still curious how this would work out. Anybody with a CAI wanna sell their factory air box for a little R&D?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

yeah i know. i'm new at this so i don't have a host? to put pics on. anyway my hood is a ram air hood. the air passage in the hood is located directly above the stock airbox. i figued iwas going to but a cai(steeda?) so i didn't feel bad about drilling some holes in the air box lid. the only problem with that is the air doesn't pass through the filter before it gets to the MAF. that's ok at the track but no way on the street. so i covered them with what else? duct tape. i gotta get that cai soon.
Email them to me, I can host them for you, I have a webserver here at home..
Better yet I could give you FTP login and you can upload to your own space on my server.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

just bought a steeda cai from a s/c guy for $100 and installed yesterday. if you like the rk sport ram air hoods(they make 2 styles) chack out ebay. i bought mine directly from them for $219+150 for shipping! i've seen them almost every time i surf ebay. i've had many cars with fg hoods and this is by far the best quality hood i've ever gotten.i didn't touch it when i fit it on the car just drop it off and let my buddy paint it. the steeda kit works real nice with that hood.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:16 AM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

How is this hood functional? Does it just have vents under the scoops or does it somehow direct the air to the air filter? What about rain???
Old 11-03-2005, 10:31 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

here's a pic of the underhood area. it has a passage for the air to cross to the air box. rain won't be a problem unless it'senough to submerge the car. there are plenty of places for the water to collect and drain before it goes in the filter or inlet tube. i have no fear of water in the intake tract. and it has rain a lot here lately. this is more like what you were talking about ram air with a filter. i used a steeda cai just because i got it cheap if not i would have made one from the stock mass air meter and air box.

Quick Reply: fabricated CAI from stock air box???