Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT 60 or 62mm Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 09:23 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Default 2005 GT 60 or 62mm Throttle Body

Has anyone here installed one of these on their car yet? I've seen 60mm for sale, but heard that there is a 62mm due out very soon also. What do you think about that?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:01 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 GT 60 or 62mm Throttle Body

i have dicussed this with two very good mustang tuners and both agreed that the stock twin 56mm t/b is good for at least 400rwhp. the stock MAF is 80mm which again is plenty big unless you are running high boost or above 175hp N20. i think the t/b is the same size as the 03=04 cobra and the mass air is the same as a s/c lightning. some companies are making products that most of us just don't need so they can sell us something. i'm putting that $300-400 in light suspension parts(k-member and a-arms) losing 100lbs off the front is huge. or read my thread about the driveshaft that is guaranteed 25rwhp and 2tenths in the 1/4 mile.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:50 PM
promustanperformance
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

You don't like the throttle body idea huh? The stock 03 cobra throttle body was 57mm, and most owners upgraded to either a 60 or 65mm part like the one from BBK. After upgrading to the 65mm BBK, most Cobra owners boast 20-30 rear wheel HP gains. If the stock dual 57mm Cobra throttle body could be upgraded to a 65 and produce such results, you would expect that upgrading the 05 GT throttle body would do similar. I mean it's not uncommon knowledge that a 65mm throttle body will support more horsepower than most people will ever have, but 70mm has become the standard. Regardless, the results are in, the 60mm throttle body finishes with 8 more HP and 8 more ft/lbs of torque. I'm interested in what you have to say about the driveshaft though. You experienced 25 more rear wheel horsepower with an aluminum driveshaft? That's awesome!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:52 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Spyder7724.
I have a Question.
Go to the RPM Outlet web site
and look at Option D: "THE ENGINE KIT" and Option E: "THE E KIT"
If the TB would be a waste on money with no HP gains, then why does RPM outlet
show "Dyno Proven" results of 11hp by replacing the TB.
The only Difference between these two kits is the addition of the TB.

Option D: "THE ENGINE KIT"

C&L - DIABLOSPORT - MOTOBLUEâ„¢
Dyno Tested for Maximum Performance

Featuring:

* DIABLOSPORT
Predator Flash Tuner with PC Interface Kit

* MOTOBLUEâ„¢
3 Pulley Underdrive Kit with SFI Approved Balancer

* C&L TRUE-FLOW INTAKE SYSTEM
Complete Air System with MAF/TRUE-FLOW Intake

* Adds up to 33+ RWHP

Part# RPM504603

$ 749.95
Option E: "THE E KIT"

Everything You Need In One Package!

Featuring:

* DIABLOSPORT

* MOTOBLUEâ„¢

* MOTOBLUEâ„¢
Twin 62mm CNC Billet Throttle Body

* Adds up to 44+ RWHP

Part# RPM504604

$ 1045.95
Granted the 475 bucks is a lot to spend on just 8-11 hp, I would like to see this price drop to around 250 before I will get one.
MOTOBLUE CNC BILLET TWIN 62MM THROTTLE BODY FOR THE 2005 MUSTANG GT
Old 10-31-2005, 12:29 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

first of all an 03-04 cobra is a s/c car. any mods done to cars with blowers tend to yield double the power of n/a motors. as for "advertised" hp gains; that all depends on what kind of dyno they used and the tune that was loaded or lack of a tune. this is just info from lidio(alternative auto) and jj(woodbine performance). jj is really good with cobra and lightnings. i watched him tune a lightning last week with the stock eaton s/c to 596rwhp @14lbs of boost. that is usually the territory of whipples but he said for most street combinations the whipple is not needed and the same for n/a 3V motors. i have seen stock eliminator 5.0's run low 11's(400rwhp) with a only a single 65mm t/b. we have twin56mm that equals 112mm. i've never seen a street type 5.0 with anything bigger than a 90mm most run 65-80mm. believe me before i talked to lidio and jj i was on the phone trying to get a bbk. if i put N2O on next year i will probably buy it then.

as far as the driveshaft goes i estimated 25hp because i picked up 2tenths and2.5mph in 1/4 mile. i'm going to the dyno next month but i don't feel like putting the stock one back in for a back to back test. it is about 16.5lbs compared to 43lbs stock!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

MATH CORRECTION TIME!!!!

Not to put a damper on this internet ***** measuring contest but I just can't let this one stand....

we have twin56mm that equals 112mm
That would be true if we were talking about total circumferance which is equal to diameter times pi. But since we are talking about airflow and thus area we need to use the equation pi * radius^2.

for example:
Circumfirance:
56 * pi *2 = 112 * pi = 351.858mm

Area:
2 * pi * (56\2)^2 = 4926.02 sq. mm.
pi * (112/2)^2 = 9852.03 sq. mm.

See the difference. now if we had quad-56mm TBs then we would be in comparable territory. But since we don't then oh well....

And just to throw my big one in the mix...More air == More HP!!!! End of story. It is not a matter of being able to support the air requirements of higher HP levels. it is simply a matter of getting more air to the components and environments that already exist. I mean a stock fuel pump and injectors could in theory support 500+ rear wheel HP, but if you are up that high aren't you going to consider replacing those as well????

Thanks for your time.....
Old 10-31-2005, 07:45 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

PonyMan.......you enjoyed that didn't you
Old 10-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: swieduwi

Spyder7724.
I have a Question.
Go to the RPM Outlet web site
and look at Option D: "THE ENGINE KIT" and Option E: "THE E KIT"
If the TB would be a waste on money with no HP gains, then why does RPM outlet
show "Dyno Proven" results of 11hp by replacing the TB.
The only Difference between these two kits is the addition of the TB.

Option D: "THE ENGINE KIT"

Featuring:

* DIABLOSPORT

* MOTOBLUEâ„¢

* Adds up to 33+ RWHP

Part# RPM504603

$ 749.95
Option E: "THE E KIT"

Everything You Need In One Package!

Featuring:

* DIABLOSPORT

* MOTOBLUEâ„¢

* MOTOBLUEâ„¢
Twin 62mm CNC Billet Throttle Body

* Adds up to 44+ RWHP

Part# RPM504604

$ 1045.95
Granted the 475 bucks is a lot to spend on just 8-11 hp, I would like to see this price drop to around 250 before I will get one.
MOTOBLUE CNC BILLET TWIN 62MM THROTTLE BODY FOR THE 2005 MUSTANG GT
The tune on ANY 05/06 Stang has proven in and of it self to provide a slight increase in HP and TQ because of how conservative the stock tune is. Keep in mind that a boosted car (03/04 Cobra's) would gain more from such a minor car simply from the amount of horsepower/TQ they have to begin with.

Ponyman, mathematically you are correct but you also need to look at the application. A good example is a runner that jogs on a regular basis (S/C car or N/A car with major mods) and a person that walks on a regular basis (stock motor or motor with minor mods).

They both would get some benefit from a larger nose (Throttle Body) since they would then take in more air, but since the walkers level of excercise and the amount of calories burned (HP and TQ output) is not as high as a runners, the walker will NEVER see the full benefit of a larger nose. That and they need to build up their endurance, leg muscles and heart (engine) to take advantage of a larger nose. Ever see someone who's outta shape run? I don't care how big the nose is (TB) they would peeter out before they ever started to need all the air the bigger nose could give them. Same goes for a TB.

You can get a bigger TB but your car will never use it until you get in a heavily modified NA or add an S/C.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Muscle Mustangs did a dyno run on the 62 mm TB. With a tune and the TB our cars are picking up 20whp on the manual car and 15 on the auto car.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Ghost,

Yes, yes I did!

Derf,

I will not argue that a F/I, or highly modded NA car, will see a greater true number from a gain such as a TB, that is common sense. However, I am willing to bet that the percentage gains will not be too much different, yes the F/I, or modded, car will be higher, but I think the percentages will be pretty close. Your analogy is absolutely correct. My statement was simply that if you provid more air you WILL get more HP the question is how much and what percentage. I was more disagreeing with the "wasted mod/wasted money" theories. Because if you are working at the change out of a TB, then it is more than likely the assumption that you will be moving on to more complex upgrades, hence making the TB a continued growth investment.

Quick Reply: 2005 GT 60 or 62mm Throttle Body